• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Guides in Poland (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
We're doing a short break in mid-May, and wanted to arrange a guide for one day for Great Snipe and woodpeckers (plus owls if possible) as "insurance".

Tomek Kulakowski has been highly recommended, but he seems a bit "woolly" in making firm arrangements, and says to contact him a day or so before setting off. This may well be how they do things, but we get a worrying feeling that if someone else wants him for a weekend/week, we'll be dropped like a thing that gets dropped easily!

Waldemar Krasowski has also been contacted, but for a one-off day he wants €200 which seems a little steep?

Are we just worrying too much, or being cheapskates? If not, can anyone recommend other guides, preferably from personal experience?

Thanks!

Waldemar Krasowski has also been contacted, but for a one-off day he wants €200 which seems a little steep?

It's an absolute rip off - an 'average salary' in eastern Poland would be less than twice that per month. Perhaps he is very good, but I think he needs to be more than very good to be asking such extortionate sums! He he he, give me that and I'll drive down from Lithuania and show you all the specials ...and buy you lunch :-O

PS to be honest, you should be able to find all the woodpeckers without a guide and you stand a good chance with the Great Snipe too (the old, though less reliable location now, site is easy to visit alone). As for Aquatics, etc, they are a piddle.

Thanks Jos - looking forward to the lunch ;)

To be honest, we much prefer the "self-finding" method! Think we'll stick with this unless anyone else has a cheaper, reliable alternative.

Hi,

There are several bird companies over the internet.

But indeed, you can find woodpeckers and snipe yourself with some effort. Last year I visited Bialowieza for a day and seen white-backed at "Zebra Zubra" track and two three-toeds in "Wysokie Bagno" reserve, around a clearing with dead spruces. Both are well known places near Bialowieza village.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back