• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reducing glare (1 Viewer)

Birdingcraft

I hope this hasnt already been posted.
I often get strong background "whites" or glare in my images- like the camera over-registers the light colors. Any ideas to reduce this?

I often experience this when taking shots of birds with foliage in the background. Bits of light colored sky between the leaves came out in the image as much larger glaring white blotches.

See Broad-billed Motmot and Boat-billed Heron pics below.

Attachments

• resizemotmot.jpg
    resizemotmot.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 137
  • boatbill.jpg
    boatbill.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 127
I think those are very difficult situation to get right, the bird is in shade and you have very strong light from the sky. To get exposure on the bird right the sky will be over exposed. There is alot of purple fringing as well in the second shot, what kind of scope do you use? You have to have a more expensive scope with ED, flourite, etc glass to minimize that effect. I guess you'll notice the fringing more when the background is in focus as well (compare with the first pic).

The first shot looks really nice to me atleast, perhaps lighten the bird a little with photoshop.

Reg. Björn

Backlighting is always a problem. Even the top end scopes can be subject to CA. The Motmot looks pretty spot on for exposure to me - well handled in the difficult lighting.

The Heron suffers from flare as well as the glare from backlighting. It's hard to say how this could be improved short of using a DSLR with powerful flash and maybe a reflector to get more light on the subject. Exposing for the bird will burn out the highlights and exposing for highlights will make the bird far too dark.

Normally I'd say use EV compensation of +1.0 or more for back lighting but I think these conditions are way to extreme to gain much benefit.

I used to get this as we have very strong light, especially at mid-day. I fixed it by setting the metering to "spot" ie the centre of the photo. You have to make sure that the bird is in the " spot" though.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back