• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red kites . (1 Viewer)

photo-pete

i often go round Harewood grounds trying to photograph the amazing red kites . i have got a few OK shots but would love to get better shots . i don't drive so generally stay around harewood grounds . im just wondering if anyone knows any better vantage points from the surrounding areas .

High Weardley Lane junction with Eccup Lane is a good area for the birds. Can be at eye level. Leave Harewood estate on the road going West from the Western end of the Lake, at crossroads turn South then at the fork take the West road for about a kilometre or so.

If you don't mind the walk from either Alwoodley Lane or (much longer) Golden Acre, then get to the end of Eccup Moor Road near Owlett Farm, just north of Eccup reservoir. There is a raptor viewing point down on the actual dam wall, but Kites tend to sit in the few trees at the end of the Road, and 'coast' over the fields adjacent the lane. This is on the edge of Harewood Estate. A possible bonus this time of year could be flocks of geese and golden plover (amongst others) in the fields from Bank House Farm (called Dalby A on Google maps) to Owlett Hall.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8710318,-1.5464029,15z

Another option is the Ebor Way running along Bank Top Lane. This is the stretch running from Bramhope to Harewood. Go as the sun is going down, and watch Kites rolling in to roost. Or on a clear day, when along with Buzzards they tend to hang around Bankside Farm.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8888161,-1.5826235,15z

Go to Muddy Boots Cafe they get fed there about 2pm on a flat roof opposite the cafe and are usually flying about most of the day on and off. I went today and between 110am and 2.30pm managed to get over 800 shots.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back