• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite seen in Derbyshire? (1 Viewer)

AnimalArtist

Bird Artist
Hi - I'm absolutely positive I saw a red kite this morning - can anyone verify if there are any in the Peak District yet?
A chap got out of his car behind me and confirmed it was and that there is only one in Derbyshire?
Help! I was so excited I nearly put the car in a ditch - I've never painted one and would so love to

Yes they are around, and certainly more than one, as I have seen them the last two times I have been onto the Derbyshire moors at different places, including one last Sunday.

Probably was a Red Kite yes. They're increasing at a rate of knots across the south Midlands and Wales, as well as some good populations in north England and Scotland, and as such wanderers are getting all over the place. Perhaps the guy means there's only one pair in Derbyshire, I don't know, but there's a decent chance this bird is a wanderer from another population.

Cheers

D

Hi - I'm absolutely positive I saw a red kite this morning - can anyone verify if there are any in the Peak District yet?
A chap got out of his car behind me and confirmed it was and that there is only one in Derbyshire?
Help! I was so excited I nearly put the car in a ditch - I've never painted one and would so love to

Hiya,

Yes, Red Kite is becoming more regular in Derbyshire, still as a migrant though but there have been a few hanging around for periods over the last few years. It is still very hard to connect with one though so well done! :t: I bird regularly in the county and have seen very few in the 30 odd years I have done so. There have been several records at Carsington Water this year and at least one passed over Ogston too along with 2 together migrating in the Ambergate area a week or so ago.

Oh and they do make excellent painting and drawing subjects!

As far as I know there are no breeding birds in Derbys, but of course given Derbyshires poor reputation with raptors they would rightly be kept quiet if there was.

ATB

Steph'

Last edited:
2 Red Kites recently in north Derbyshire, just blogging and no indication of breeding. Like Steph says, best to keep all raptors and owls absolutely quiet. Not even private messaging. Up our way Hen Harriers, Goshawks and Short-eared Owls on territory have all mysteriously vanished this spring. No idea why that could be.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back