• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Grouse / Red Squirrel (1 Viewer)

Pete007

I shall be visiting friends in South Lancashire in early May and hope to take the opportunity to try and photograph Red Grouse and hopefully Red Squirrels during the 2-3 days I have free.
Unfortunately I am recovering from a bad knee at present meaning that long or difficult treks may not be possible, but I would very much appreciate any recommendations or suggestions where I might be able to get good photographs of Red Grouse or Red Squirrels.
I know people often use the car as a mobile hide to photograph Grouse and it may be that certain roads or tracks are quite productive if taking this approach.
I also hope to see Dippers if I can so once again any feedback is very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Evening Pete, you can see Dippers at White Coppice and Yarrow Valley Country Park. I think you might find some Red Squirrels around Southport but I do not know the exact location, the Grouse are on the moors but I think it would involve walking a long way. Good luck and all the best.

Formby is the place to go for red squirrels in Lancashire (well, nearly) You need a bit of luck and/or patience but it's your best bet, for sure, in that area. Check out rsne.org.uk for recent red squirrel sightings.

Last edited:
We saw loads of red squirrels at Formby last saturday just before 10am - including two crossing the road just beyond the ticket booth - I think the key is arrive early and take the squirrel walk on the left about 70m in from the gate - some peanuts would help tempt them in too from our experience. But by 11:30 there were no squirrels visible at all!

Yup agree, Formby for the Squirrels, always been there whenever I have visited. For the Grouse, Trough Of Bowland and moorland up to Bentham from Slaidburn, you can park at the side of the road at Bowland Knotts and see and photograph the grouse form the road side.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back