• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-flanked Bluetail in Lowestoft - RFI (1 Viewer)

davidg

I'll be in Lowestoft over the weekend and thought I'd try for the Bluetail if it stays on for long enough. Can anyone give me any better directions than 'south of the lighthouse' which is all I can find - Arnold's Walk doesn't appear on maps, as far as I can see. The bird is reported as elusive - any suggestions for best time of day, favoured area etc much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Arnold's Walk is a small wooded area immediately south of Sparrow's Nest Gardens. It is separated from the gardens by a narrow lane or score which leads down the cliff. There is a path which passes through the woods and then branches up or down the cliff face. It eventually emerges at the bottom near some new houses and opposite the net drying posts. The easiest way to get into it is probably to go into Sparrow's nest and head south towards the bowling green. There is a wooded cliff face on the right with lots of paths crossing it. This is where the bird was first discovered. In front of you is the score and there is an opening which allows you to cross it and enter Arnold's Walk.

I'm afraid I don't know any details about how to find the bird. I spent about three hours in the area last Saturday looking for anything interesting, without success, and was a bit miffed when the RFB was discovered the next day in the area where I had been searching!

Ron

Thanks very much, Ron and Gi, just what I was looking for. At least now I know that whilst I'm looking in vain for the RFB on Sunday, I'll be looking in vain in the right place!

David

I managed to dash over for an hour this morning, found the site without problem, and was lucky that the bird was showing as I arrived. It flew off after a couple of minutes and didn't appear again before I had to leave.

Thanks again for the directions,

David

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back