• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quinta do Lago Portugal (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
Hi everbody,
Has anyone been to this area of Portugal? :h?: Apparently not far from Faro, I know about the wetlands around Faro being a 'nature reserve' but am stumped with the actual area we are staying. Microsoft Autoroute hasn't got it in the database so don't know if we are close to the wetlands or miles inland. The actual resort is close to (or may be in) a golf course Vilar Do Golf.
Thanx for any info
Keith

Absolutely fabulous for a family hol.Don't know what time of year but I managed Red Necked Nightjar nearby, Azure Winged Magpie, Purple Gallinule, Gt Spotted Cuckoo, Little Bittern just for starters at end of July. There is a hide overlooking the golf course and lagoons nearer to the airport past the hide which I only discovered towards the end as it was my early morning patch for the holiday.

Keith Dickinson said:
Hi everbody,
Has anyone been to this area of Portugal? :h?: Apparently not far from Faro, I know about the wetlands around Faro being a 'nature reserve' but am stumped with the actual area we are staying. Microsoft Autoroute hasn't got it in the database so don't know if we are close to the wetlands or miles inland. The actual resort is close to (or may be in) a golf course Vilar Do Golf.
Thanx for any info
Keith

The Vilar Do Golf is in the Quinta de largo resort

Check out my trip report for details of what I saw and where to go
http://www.hows.org.uk/inter/birds/portugal/portugal.htm

The reserve is signed from the Quinta de large golf course, directions and a map are in Gosneys book. Finding birds in Southern Portugal, available from Birdguides.com for about £5, there are lots of other local sites to visit in this book so well worth getting.

There are two places to park, by the restaurant de largo for the old saltpans and marshy area. Also park by the Hotel de largo (charge) for the pools, hide and marsh area.

Another place to visit is a small scrubby wood and some small pools (with tower hide) near the east end of the Vale de lobo (about 5 mins by car from Quinta de largo) , its not signed but there is a beach cafe there.

It is in Phase II on the following map

http://www.algarveprop.com/Vale_do_Lobo_map.asp

If you want any more info please contact me further

Mark

Keith Dickinson said:
Hi everbody,
Thanx for any info
Keith

Excellent area at any time of year, don't miss it, it's one of the best areas in the Algarve.
To get there - if coming from the east turn left in Amansil for Quarteria then look for a turning on the left signed Valle de Lobo, follow this to a T-junction, turn left, and just after a shopping complex on the right you come to a roundabout, turn off to Quinta do Lago and just keep going straight across 6 roundabouts until finally you reach a large carpark. Park up and walk left.

For some more information find "A week in Portugal" in the trip report section, page 5, or contact me.

Regards

John-henry

Keith Dickinson said:
Hi everbody,
Thanx for any info
Keith

Hi Keith,

This location can be good BUT you have to put up with the dreaded GOLFERS. Locating the lagoon (maintained by Qta da Largo golf club) is not easy but the Gosney and Carlson guides have fairly clear directions. Much of the reedbed was cut back last spring and never really recovered. Guaranteed birds are Little Bittern, Red-crested Pochard and Purple Swamp Hen. The hide is often occupied by non-birders (just curious tourists) and other undesirables; on recent visits it stank like an ashtray and there were used condoms and hyperdermic needles on the floor, plus piles of s**t in the corner - definitely not a family venue!!

Try Ludo Farm and the airport sewage works (both located in Gosney) or, better still, the best birding location SW Europe, Lagoa dos Salgados (oftened referred to as Pera Marsh by Brit birders), directions to which are given in Carlson. This is one of my local "patches".

http://www.algarvebirder.blogspot.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back