• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question regarding enclosed bino harness. (6 Viewers)

Hikerboy

Canada
Many of you are incredibly knowledgeable about optics, and I was hoping for some expert opinions. I've been looking at a bino harness to protect my Swaro's and Leica's when off-trail hiking in the mountains, and the particular harness of interest to me is made by the brand Marsupial. This harness utilizes magnets to keep the unit enclosed, protecting the binocular from the elements and such.

My main question is: Would the magnets on said harness harm or negatively impact the internal mechanics of my binoculars?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

How do you carry your binoculars?

If you haven't you may want to check out this thread above although I do not recall that it discusses possible negative effects of magnets.

I'm no expert but use various harnesses to carry most of my binoculars particularly when hiking. The key is to find one that works well with your anatomy and your typical clothing which for me involves experimenting with best adjustment and even modification. I have never tried the Marsupial brand but they appear to be well made and popular.

My WAG is that if magnets negatively impacted standard binoculars that would probably be well known by now. Note for example that a number of OEM cases also include magnet closure systems and I use several with no adverse consequences. That may be different with respect to binoculars with IS or other electronic features.

Mike

Thank you for your input, guys! That's pretty much what I was thinking, as I can be pretty paranoid about my gear and would rather not damage my optics.

Again, I appreciate the help!

- Keegan

No issues to worry about of using magnetic closures with optics. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. If your binoculars come equipped with a compass (or you if you ever decide to use a compass), a harness case with a magnetic closure may give you inaccurate orientation.

2. Some magnetic closures can be quite loud so you may inadvertently spook some birds or wildlife.

There are some magnet-less bino harness cases. Kuiu and Stone Glacier come to mind. I personally use Kuiu’s and I am very happy with it.

No issues to worry about of using magnetic closures with optics. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. If your binoculars come equipped with a compass (or you if you ever decide to use a compass), a harness case with a magnetic closure may give you inaccurate orientation.

2. Some magnetic closures can be quite loud so you may inadvertently spook some birds or wildlife.

There are some magnet-less bino harness cases. Kuiu and Stone Glacier come to mind. I personally use Kuiu’s and I am very happy with it.

Yeah, I had the Kuiu for a bit, yet I experienced my EL's rattling around inside, as well the focuser getting snagged on the upper rim of the pack when removing. Maybe I didn't adjust it enough? Either way, something to think about. I'm not too concerned about the compass/GPS interference as I have long arms and can keep them at a length where it shouldn't provide an inaccurate reading. I also like that the Marsupial has really good lining material on the inner pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back