• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Printer problem (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all, help needed. I have a HPPrinter which has been functioning by WiFi. A little while ago I got a new WiFi extension that changed the name of the network available to the printer and it obviously could not connect. Today I got the settings changed so that the WiFi name reverted. The printer still cannot find the network and HP Smart cannot find the printer. I then found a cable and connected using USB, but HPSmart still can’t find the printer. I am at a loss to figure out what to do next.
Niels

If it is a Windows PC and connected to Internet

Here is my opinion:
Do Windows react when connecting the printer (printer ON)?

If not, maybe the USB cable is not ok. You can try again with another cable or same cable with another peripheral USB.
You can verify in Printers & Scanners if the printer is installed.
If the printer is installed and has a single instance, be sure is selected as default printer.
If the printer is installed and has multiple instances (the name of printer is repeated in the list), I would disconnect the printer from PC, delete (button Remove Device) all instances of the printer, wait a second and connect it again. "Normally", Windows will search and install the needed software. Can take a few minutes, sometimes 5-7 minutes.
When the printer is installed, this is visible in Printers & Scanners screen. Must be set as default printer, if not already.
This is the optimistic scenario.
Inportant: Do not delete other peripherals.

This worked for me for some HP LaserJet Pro printer.

Last edited:
After having deleted the printer instances, I was able to get HPSmart to recognize that the printer was present on the USB. It took a lot of searching, but eventually I found a place to add WIFI info back into the printer. Once that was done I could remove the USB and so far the WIFI holds up. I am crossing my fingers it will continue like this.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back