• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pragmatism .. on a shoestring (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

It looks like I'll be going to the Neotropics (for the first time) within the next couple of months. Birders on BF seem to suggest Ecuador as a good introduction country.. o:D

I'm also considering going to Central America (Panama or Costa Rica), although there seems to be quite a bit of overlap in the bird species between the two ..;)

I don't speak a word of Spanish and I'm not familiar with the birds there, so I'm weighing my options and considering using the services of local bird guides or tour companies ..The crux of the biscuit is of course the dollars ..

To summarise:

* It's my first time in the Neotropics
* I'll have 3-4 weeks to spend over there
* I don't speak any Spanish at all
* My budget is tight
* The tour companies churned up by Google seem outisde my budget range

Any recommendations for guides/tour operators with reasonable rates would be greatly appreciated, as would any other helpful tips/ideas ..
Thank you in advance :t:

Hi there. I have heard good things about Rio Pachijal ecological reserve in Mindo outside Quito, who run birding tours of the West Slope at about half the price of their competitors. I hope to visit Ecuador later in the year myself so let me know how you get on. My Spanish is non existent too. Cheers, Mark.

Contact info

Thank you Register .. any contact info for that reserve ? ..
Also, I wonder if there are any other similar lodges ..
How about other info on tour companies ???? ..
C'mon BFers ;)

Hi. The website is www.pachijalreserve.com. They do tours of the west slope of the andes,going to the full range of altitudes and habitats, from 2 nights to six nights, including transport from quito, lodging, food, and a professional birding guide who knows the area very well.If you are on an extremely tight budget it may be better to stay in a guest house in Mindo and hire a local guide on the spot, but the language issue might make this a wee bit problematic. it will still cost about five hundred dollars plus for a full weeks guided birding, but I have seen tours going to the same places that cost double that amount. Are you going to be putting up a trip report on this site?Other loges, like Tandayapa, Septimo Paraiso, Reserva Las Gralarias all look great but the cost of lodging alone without any guiding or excursions would be about the same as you get for the whole package at Pachijal. All the best, Mark.

Within Budget

Thank you Mark for the contact info .. and thank you Vectis for your suggestion .. you're both stars :t:

Vectis, I assume that the lodge you suggested is reasonably priced ?

I hope more BFers can suggest a few more (A-LA-SHOESTRING) places/local guides/tour companies, in which case I would just go to a couple of spots and spend all my time there ..B :)

Thanks and happy birding o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back