• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poland (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

Hi,
Planning a trip to Poland either 2010 or 2011. I am wondering if anyone could recommend some tour companies that I could see:
Wolves
European Bison
European Elk
Lynx (I know that I hardly have a chance with this one)
Bears
Eagle-Owl

I've been looking at wildpoland, what other ones are there?

Last edited:
Hi,

More sensible may be independent birding in Bieszczady or Bialowieza for a week and walking a lot in the filed. Mammals don't have any stakeouts and seeing them is generally bumping on one by chance. Time helps there.

Mammals don't have any stakeouts and seeing them is generally bumping on one by chance.
On a birding visit to Poland, I was talking to one of the local guides who'd worked on a project radio tracking wolves in the Białowieża area. But although he'd been quite close on several occasions, he'd never actually seen one!

Richard

I was once helping (well, students get their fun) in radio-tracking a lynx in Bialowieza. She killed a roe-deer on a meadow right next to a village. We and nobody else didn't seen her on two nights, although the transmitter bleeped that she was all night 200 m from the eastern bridge in Bialowieza (radio-trackers are prohibited to come close to their animals).

Still, with much luck, lynx and wolves are seen on forest roads in the early morning.

Bison in Bialowieza are much more likely, especially if they stay in one meadow for several days.

EDIT: Marek Borkowski is a good guide for mammals if you need one. But there are other good guides, too.

Last edited:
Hi,
Planning a trip to Poland either 2010 or 2011. I am wondering if anyone could recommend some tour companies that I could see:
Wolves
European Bison
European Elk
Lynx (I know that I hardly have a chance with this one)
Bears
Eagle-Owl

I've been looking at wildpoland, what other ones are there?

Worth thinking about what time of year you go, too- and whether you are up for it when there's snow on the ground and tracks to be found.

Even if you don't go in the grips of winter you might want to go when the leaves are off the trees and you can see further. It's still not straightforward to see Bison on demand though. I marched my elderly parents 15km in a day looking for Bison a couple of years ago in October/November time- rewarding when you finally connect, but hard work along the way!

Nice recent account here:

http://www.wild-wonders.com/blog/?p=2932

Last edited:
It's still not straightforward to see Bison on demand though. I marched my elderly parents 15km in a day looking for Bison a couple of years ago in October/November time- rewarding when you finally connect, but hard work along the way!
But encounters with Bison poo should at least be guaranteed (no worse than ticking heard-only birds). Robust footwear recommended. ;)

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back