• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poland in February (1 Viewer)

Mabbs

Hi there,

My brother and I are visiting the Biebrza and Bialowieza area over a week in early February. All the information seems to be on spring visits. Any advice for the areas or tactics to find the big mammals and birds in winter would be great.

Thanks for any help,

Tom

Bialowieza

Hello,
I'm just back from Bialowieza. I hired a guide/photographer called Marek Kosinski who took me out looking for bison etc. www.naturephototours.pl is his website. He hooked me up with a friend of his called Karol Zub who was a large mammals expert for a walk in the Strictly Protected forest (you need a guide). We found fresh wolf pee, saw lots of deer, wild boar and the black and white fronted woodpecker. He was very informative and interesting.
If you're into photography, I can recommend a day or 2 or 3 at Marek's eagle hide. You never know what else you might see there - wolves, foxes, buzzards, raccoon dogs etc. The photographer that was there after me saw a pack of 7 wolves that passed very close to the hide.
Hope this helps - its an amazing place
best wishes
Fiona

In Biebrza you would likely be able to see Elks from one of the hides in the southern basin. I remember also that Bagno Wizna (large meadows south of Wizna village on the other side of Narew river) were very good for wintering raptors like Rough-legged Buzzards etc.

In Białowieża go on minor tracks around Wisent observation reserve and you may succeed in seeing wild ones. Other good spots for Wisents are around Teremiski village or around Kosy Most in the forest near Narewka village in the N. You will likely spot Hazelhen or its tracks (if you are patient) around some spruces. If you see spruce die-off area in the forest look for Three-toed, and White-backed is in many places - I saw it in winter in village park in Białowieża, and track Żebra Żubra is usually good. You will likely see wolf and lynx tracks in the snow or mud, but chance of seeing animals are slim - you may try spotlighting.

I have no idea what the weather will be, but if waters are frozen, any unfrozen pools are good for otters. And there are many beaver lodges in both sites.

As Fiona suggested, you could try hiring somebody local to give you better gen.

Hi Jurek, you mention the hides around the southern basin for elk, is there a specific habitat they prefer and where abouts are the hides? Think I will be geting a book but any info is much appreciated. Thanks again, Tom

Tom, Jurek, sorry to cut into your conversation but I happen to know a bit on the subject..

The "hides" are just tall wooden viewing towers very obvious and visible from the road and available to anyone. There is nothing hidden about them.. :) The Biebrza Site Guide describes all of them in detail. They are also well marked on most of the available maps of the National Park.

In spring and summer Elks stay mostly in the open sedge/reed marsh with willow bushes. Apart from a short time in April when they feed on water vegetation (mostly Marsh Marigold), later they mostly feed on willow buds, leaves and twigs. Sometimes they can also be seen in the Bog Alder forest just next to the road.

Lukasz/WildPoland
Hi Jurek, you mention the hides around the southern basin for elk, is there a specific habitat they prefer and where abouts are the hides? Think I will be geting a book but any info is much appreciated. Thanks again, Tom

Thanks for the advice. I have bought the Bialowieza site guide. Looks great. We have 2 days in the Biebrza and have a rough plan of action. Any last minute tips on top routes to take or areas we can't afford to miss would be great.

Cheers, Tom

Hi, Lukasz said you already. Hides are tall watching towers. Basically, it is best to scan edge of the forest and bushes for some Elk to walk out. Both from the towers and (where there is none) from the ground or hill.

In winter Elk keep mostly to the forest and shrub, but of course they are best visible when they cross open ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back