• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poitou Charentes, Charente Maritime. (1 Viewer)

bella34

Hi, i'll be staying near Saintes, Poitou Charentes for two weeks june into July, any notable birds or bird places to see in this region, is it worth taking my binoculars ?.

I've been working near Saintes a few times recently and have seen the following: Bonelli's Warbler, RB Shrike, lots of Melodious, Black Kite, Monty's, S-T Eagle, Crested Lark, Golden Oriole, Rock Sparrow north of Saintes in the village of Villefranche, so a few species that might be of interest.

Hi Eugene, your advice was pretty good, I did get to see just about every one you mentioned.
We were in a gite near Nancras on the Saintes - Marennes road, and I saw Black Kites, Buzzard and Short toed Eagle every day but the highlight was a male Montagu's harrier hunting over the crop fields around our gite, one evening I watched him carrying prey overhead and dropping into the crops maybe a kilometre away, and in that direction a day or two later maybe the same male nearly flew into my car whilst chasing a bird that escaped into a bush.

Fantastic stuff.

Glad to hear you had a good visit - the number of Montys in the cereal-growing areas of Vendée and Charente-Maritime seems to be particularly high and, like you, I've had them flying down the road and almost into the car on a few occasions !
I also regularly saw them following tractors cutting grass for silage and they seemed more or less indifferent to the presence of humans nearby, assuming you stay in your car that is. Fantastic birds indeed !

Eugene

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back