• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help to identify this scope: Leo CR500EX80E10H (1 Viewer)

Johnlantransj

Hi everyone:

Has anyone seen this scope before? I just bought it online, originally government surplus. It won't be arriving for another next week.

It says: Leo CR500EX80E10H f=500 d=80 apo II Germany Best Scope. I am looking for more info. After several hours of googling, I could not find much. Apparently it is made in China (by Long Penghr?) and is sold under different names (there is a white model). Does any know:

1. Who manufactured it and where was it made?

2. What is the f-stop (focal ratio)? (focal length=500mm; diameter = 80mm).

3. Is this a good scope? what would be its original/new price?

TIA. It is good to be back to this forum ...

John

Attachments

• leo telescope.jpg
    leo telescope.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 417
Hi everyone:

Has anyone seen this scope before? I just bought it online, originally government surplus. It won't be arriving for another next week.

It says: Leo CR500EX80E10H f=500 d=80 apo II Germany Best Scope. I am looking for more info. After several hours of googling, I could not find much. Apparently it is made in China (by Long Penghr?) and is sold under different names (there is a white model). Does any know:

1. Who manufactured it and where was it made?

2. What is the f-stop (focal ratio)? (focal length=500mm; diameter = 80mm).

3. Is this a good scope? what would be its original/new price?

TIA. It is good to be back to this forum ...

John

You seem to have already found where it was made and by whom. Unfortunately, no idea of the quality or the value.
F-stop is a photography term that reflects the shutter opening, it does not apply here.
My guess is the 'Germany' on the signage is decorative and this is not military gear.
The picture indicates the scope lacks an eye piece. With luck, it will take any standard 1.25 inch barrel astronomical eye piece. If not, it will be necessary to hunt for a compatible unit.
Good luck and keep us posted.

etudiant - You are wrong, all telescopes have an F number. It is the focal length divided by the aperture. So 500/80 = F6.25 and this can further be altered by fitting a lens cap with a smaller hole in it, effectively reducing the aperture or you can get an iris specifically made for a telescope or scavenge one from an old lens.

John, I can't find out anything at all about this scope. The most important thing is the type of glass. In a shorter scope, anything less than FPL-53 glass will start to produce noticeable chromatic aberrations. Most sites just show it as having multi coatings and no mention of the glass type at all. The helical focuser looks nice and that would be useful.

The manufacturer you are thinking of is Long Perng but the scope isn't shown under any of their current models. http://www.longperng.com.tw/goods.php?act=list&catId=1

Will be interesting to see how it performs. Depending on the optics, maybe upwards of $300, if the glass is good, like FPL-51 or above then you could double that price.

Paul.

etudiant - You are wrong, all telescopes have an F number. It is the focal length divided by the aperture. So 500/80 = F6.25 and this can further be altered by fitting a lens cap with a smaller hole in it, effectively reducing the aperture or you can get an iris specifically made for a telescope or scavenge one from an old lens.

Thanks, Paul, I did not realize that.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information. I look forward to receive the scope and test it.

I do have another question. Can I get this scope to work with a point & shoot camera like many "digiscopers" do? Do I just need an eyepiece and an adapter to attach the camera to it? Last year I had a spotting scope + point and shoot setup, but I switched over to astroscope+dslr setup. Now I am trying to replace my dslr with a point and shoot. It would be great if I can get this scope to work with a point and shoot.

In any case, it is good to hear from you again, for it has been awhile.

Take care
John

Paul,

interesting info on glass type. how do you know which type of glass is used? This scope looks very well built, with 2 tripod mounts!!! (I have not seen one like that). Also, I have not seen helical focusing. But I am new to telescope.

When I did my research on google, most of the answers were in Korean and Chinese. I used google translate to read them. most of them were classified adds, with the asking price ranging from $100-$300 USD. there is one on ebay that is being sold for $225 USD but no one has bought it. I got mine for less than $100.

Thanks again
John

The only difference between your new scope and a spotting scope like digiscopers use is that this scope doesn't have an erecting prism. If you put an eyepiece in the back of this scope the image will be upside down. Spotting scopes are generally lighter in weight, waterproof and nitrogen filled to make them fog proof so you wont have any of those things either.

All you need for this scope is an erecting prism, get the glass type and not a mirror type. The mirror types only turns the image the correct way up but they are still not corrected for left to right. A glass erecting prism will correct the image the right way up and will correct the image left to right. Something like this would be what you need. http://agenaastro.com/william-optics-1-25-45-erecting-prism-diagonal.html

Regarding the glass type used in telescopes, if it's good then the manufacturers will want you to know, they don't leave that info out of the description. You will soon know when you get the scope. Try it with your dslr in the back and photograph something like tree branches against a bright sky. Any chromatic aberration will show up in a high contrast photo like that.

All that remains is an eyepiece. The beauty of using a telescope as a spotting scope is you have access to a vast selection of eyepieces. Depending on the adapter you want to use, some eyepieces are threaded underneath the rubber eyecup to aid in making this easier.

Paul.

Paul

It looks like by the time I would be done getting the pieces to make this into a full scope, i would have spent more money than what i paid for the scope itself! I think i will just get a cheap panasonic g3 (around $100 usd) and stay with the scope + dslr setup. the g3 has a 2x cropping factor. with my 2x teleconverter + the camera + the 500mm scope, i will have plenty of reach.

take care
john

Last edited:
Paul and the gang are brilliant. Of course, that's what they say about everything in GB, innit? ;) I think I hold the record for the dumbest questions ever. I sold off a lot of telescope accessories I had but regretted it when I priced them for replacement. I use a G3 on my 80mm APO Refractor. I just love it. I saved for a long time and recently bought a Televue 2x 2" Powermate. Paul's TC's etc., cannibalized from lenses were the way to go, especially for someone on a budget like myself. Unfortunately, I also have a deficit regarding cleverness and dexterity. I tested it out the other day at the top of an evergreen at @75 yards and a telephone pole at, I'm guessing 150 yards. Sometimes I see Pileated Woodpeckers there and can't wait to get a photo now that I can. These were taken in light rain and fog, mind you.

My son has moved to India. He's taken an interest in bird photography. With proper equipment, with access to such marvelous and exotic variety, it's a pleasure following his photo blog. I'm touring the world vicariously. He's left my little bubblegum and baling wire operation in the dust, but still, this little hobby has given me great joy.

I owe a lot of gratitude to you regulars.

Attachments

• P1500210.JPG
    P1500210.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 206
  • P1500213.JPG
    P1500213.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back