• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning birding before (or after) prof. conference in Buenos Aires Aug. 1, 2012 (1 Viewer)

Mmcguire

My husband and I are planning to attend a professional congress in Buenos Aires in early August, 2012. We are both avid nature viewers - I am an enthusiastic birder, and my husband enjoys nature photography. We may have to commit to the international flights part of the travel plans as early as this coming August. So I'm asking now for information that could help us plan a little bit of birding before, during, and (especially) after our conference.

I have already noted, in the responses to other postings, that the Reserva Ecológica Costanera Sur is near the center of the city, about 3.3 km from the likely venue of our meetings. That will probably keep us busy for any days when we have some free time during the congress. Other suggestions of nearby birding opportunities while staying in Buenos Aires would be very welcome.

After the congress, we will be heading for Brazil to visit friends in Belo Horizonte and to visit the Pantanal. However, we think it may be possible to fly to Iguazú Falls and continue on to Belo Horizonte (via Sao Paulo?). I have two questions about this possibility:

a) Iguazú Falls are listed on various websites as being good for birding, but I'd like to know more about where to go for good bird-watching (in addition to seeing the Falls themselves) and about how much time to allow for birding on both the Argentina side and the Brazil side of the river/border, and

b) What practical details do I need to know (other than the details of getting proper documents for entry to both Argentina and Brazil) about crossing the border there? Specifically, if my flight is on a Brazilian carrier, it will go from Buenos Aires to Foz do Iguaçu, so we would need to take a bus or some other local transport back across the Falls to enjoy the Argentina side for a day or two and then return to Brazil, before going on with our trip. What are our options and how difficult is each likely to be? Any suggestions about how to accomplish all this border-crossing smoothly? [I speak Spanish fairly well and can read - but not speak - Portuguese, at least well enough for travel purposes - not for scholarly tomes.]

We are looking forward to some future trip to Argentina to visit many other parts. On this trip, we are far too constrained by the time of year of the meetings and the family plans of our friends. However, I'm enthusiastic about those parts of the country we will be able to see and search for birds.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Hi - I can help with your questions round Iguazu NP.

Iguazu is good for birding but not as good as some other places close by, such as PP Urugua-i. Allow two days for Iguazu NP (the falls really are spectacular!) - you get half price entry on the second day. As far as crossing the border goes, it's fairly straightforward, as so many people cross in taxis just to see the falls, it's a very fast crossing - you hand over your passports through a window and they stamp them. Expect max one hour for the transfer, because, especially early in the morning, there can be quite a queue. Taxi prices are steep - I generally recommend people to either stay on the Argentinean side or get the taxi just to the Puerto Iguazu bus station, from where you have a 20 min bus ride to the Nat Pk entrance. You can save quite a lot of money staying on the Argentinean side as Brazil is very expensive right now. That said, the best hotel is undoubtedly Das Cataratas on the Brazilian side within sight of the falls.

Hope this helps.

Guy Cox (birding guide in Misiones and Iguazu)

Hi.
Let´s start with Buenos Aires area. Costanera Sur is a great place for birding. You should also try to get some birding tour to Otamendi or Ceibas (especially Ceibas) These places are close to Buenos Aires (not more than 150 kms) and have a incredible diversity of birds.
As Guy said, I also recommend staying on the Argentinian side. You have beautifull 5 stars lodges at the "Selva de Iriapú" complex and you won´t have any idiomatic problem.
Iguazú is a fantastic place for birding.
I agree with Guy that the best place in Misiones (and for sure in Argentina) for birding is the Urugua-í PP-Andresito and the Urugua-í-Foerster Biological Corridor area.
We own a small reserve within the area and we also offer birding tours. If you want further information please visit our website.
I don´t know Guy personally, but I heard he is a great guide too.
Best regards.
Julián.

Uruguai is excellent for birding, but also for other wildlife.

Otherwise I do not know much about Misiones.
Region Salta, Jujuy and also Chaco have excellent bird spots.

enclosed some pictures from Uruguai ( the third one is not me ! )

Attachments

• Tapir DSC_2084 - 3 II.jpg
    Tapir DSC_2084 - 3 II.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 80
  • Tapir DSC_2269 - 3 II.jpg
    Tapir DSC_2269 - 3 II.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Urugua Affe DSC_2048 II.jpg
    Urugua Affe DSC_2048 II.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back