• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pennsylvania bird info/help (1 Viewer)

chris murphy

Used Register
Hi folks

I'm off to the States later this year, probably from 2nd september for about three weeks and I could use some info/contacts. Although it will not be primarily a birding trip (it's my honeymoon), I've been given license to do as much birding as I possibly can. We'll be in New York for a couple of days first, about the only birding I could realistically do there would be Central Park (unless anyone knows of any other good, but close areas to central New York?) so any info on what to expect there or where to look would be appreciated. After that we then travel to PA for the majority of the trip, based in Altoona. We will be hiring a car so should have reasonable mobility and will probably also be venturing into Gettysburg as well. Any info on birding locations, species to expect, etc at any of the sites would be greatly appreciated as there seem to be very few trip reports to PA on the internet, but I did expect that with it not being an 'obvious' birding holiday location.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Regards
Chris

Chris,
It looks like you will be coming through Pennsylvania in early to middle September. This is the time that the Broadwing Hawks migrate over Hawk Mountain. If you travel Rt 78 from New Jersey into Pennsylvania you will pass within 10 miles of Hawk Mountain. There are a number of motels at the intersection of Routes 78 and 61 (In Hamburg, Pennsylvania) and there is a huge Cabela's Outdoor Store at that intersection which you MUST NOT miss. It would be a shame if you came so close to these landmarks and did not stop to enjoy them. Hawk Mt. is just north of the aforesaid intersection about 10 miles away. Remember to bring a binocular for your Bride to use! 10x is ideal.

There are a couple of other guys on the forum who live near Hawk Mountain who may want to add their comments.

Frank! John T.! Are you listening?

Best wishes to you and your fiancee. You are welcome to PM me if you want more info.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I moved from London to Philadelphia in Pensylvania last year and the birding has been fantastic.

One of the best websites for sightings is http://www.birdingonthe.net
they have a section for all the states and the info is usually up to date.

The first 3 weeks of september is prime time for fall migration and central park in New York can be a great place, also in the area is Jamaica bay, you maybe able to take the subway there, one of our New York members could help you out there.

As for Pensylvania I only know about the eastern side of the state and New Jersey. If you can get over to the New Jersey coast there are many great places to see fall migration.

PM me if you want any more details

Rob

Another location close to Hawk Mountain is Bake Oven Knob, another raptor migration spot.

Gettysburg, since it's protected land as a national historical park, might well provide some interesting birding in itself, with (I hope, haven't been there in decades!) mature trees, etc.

In the Philadelphia area is the national wildlife refuge formerly called Tinicum -- I think it's called Heinz-something now. Have heard it's terrific.

And for some interesting birding in an incredibly beautiful setting, you might try Longwood Gardens near Kennet Square, NW of Philadelphia. Some of the largest public gardens in the states, absolutely gorgeous in September. Do treat yourself to a nice sit-down meal in the dining room -- the crab crabs were scrumptious!

But do not miss the opportunity to visit Hawk Mountain! Check out their website (hawkmountain.org) and there will be a calendar of what can be seen while you're there (broadies aren't the only things coming through but are predominant at that time). Do be aware that reaching the summit requires climbing a rockfield, and you'll want to take some sort of cushioning to sit on if you plan to spend several hours at the summit -- it ain't nothing but rock! And think about going on a weekday, rather than a weekend, in order to avoid the largest crowds.

But wherever you go in Pennsylvania, enjoy yourself! It's a beautiful, beautiful state!

The other posters hit the major areas of attraction especially during that time of year. I live halfway between Bake Oven Knob and Hawk Mountain. Either site is excellent for migrating raptors in September. Though early in the year you may want to also check out Middle Creek Wildlife Management area. It is about 40 minutes Southwest of where ceasar gave you directions for Cabelas. They have a website but I do not know the web address at the moment. A quick search on Yahoo or Google should pull it up though.

Also, as RobHynson mentioned above the following link is a messageboard for PA birders to post their sightings. You can go to the site and see who is seeing what at any time of the year. Great resource!

http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/PENN.html

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back