• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagics in Peru (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

I was booked on a pelagic from Lima on 29th July. It looks like that this will be cancelled due to lack of people. I'm really keen to get out to sea to see some birds does anyone have any experience of organisng their own chater boat from Peru or any other suggestions.

Cheers

Steve

As Tim suggested, I'd recommend checking if Gunnar has a trip available on a date that fits you - as far as I am aware he's the only one doing pelagics in Peru at a regular interval (even though those trips get cancled too, if there are too few people). Doing the whole thing yourself is quite difficult without contacts and unless you speak Spanish.

http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com/birdingperukolibri/perutours/pelagics.asp

If that fails I'd recommend a visit to the Paracas Peninsula, where short trips to Islas Ballestas are sold all over the place in the towns of Pisco and Paracas. Things like Peruvian Pelican, Inca Tern, Guanay Cormorant and Peruvian Booby are virtually guaranteed, while chances for Humboldt Penguin, Red-legged Cormorant and Surf Cinclodes are good. As Islas Ballestas only are some 10-15 km. from the coast truly pelagic species like Albatrosses, Shearwaters and Petrels are uncommon to rare, but the chance is there nevertheless. Of course it should be mentioned that these trips are aimed at "normal tourists", but birds are still plentyful and most are easy to see. Indeed, I am fairly sure there are hundreds of thousands in the colonies on Islas Ballestas and parts of the islands appear virtually all black as they are covered in birds. The nearby Paracas Peninsula is good for various waders and Chilean Flamingo (esp. near the Museum). If you miss the Red-legged Cormorant and the Surf Cinclodes on a visit to Islas Ballestas, the chances are good near La Catedral (a rock-formation on the south side of the Peninsula). With luck Peruvian Thick-knee can be found in some of the fields near the town of Paracas. Supposedly, truly pelagic trips can be arranged via Hotel Paracas, but they are (from what I've heard) quite expensive. Getting "chum" from the fish-marked certainly would be no problem.

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
As Tim suggested, I'd recommend checking if Gunnar has a trip available on a date that fits you - as far as I am aware he's the only one doing pelagics in Peru at a regular interval (even though those trips get cancled too, if there are too few people). Doing the whole thing yourself is quite difficult without contacts and unless you speak Spanish.

http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com/birdingperukolibri/perutours/pelagics.asp

If that fails I'd recommend a visit to the Paracas Peninsula, where short trips to Islas Ballestas are sold all over the place in the towns of Pisco and Paracas. Things like Peruvian Pelican, Inca Tern, Guanay Cormorant and Peruvian Booby are virtually guaranteed, while chances for Humboldt Penguin, Red-legged Cormorant and Surf Cinclodes are good. As Islas Ballestas only are some 10-15 km. from the coast truly pelagic species like Albatrosses, Shearwaters and Petrels are uncommon to rare, but the chance is there nevertheless. Of course it should be mentioned that these trips are aimed at "normal tourists", but birds are still plentyful and most are easy to see. Indeed, I am fairly sure there are hundreds of thousands in the colonies on Islas Ballestas and parts of the islands appear virtually all black as they are covered in birds. The nearby Paracas Peninsula is good for various waders and Chilean Flamingo (esp. near the Museum). If you miss the Red-legged Cormorant and the Surf Cinclodes on a visit to Islas Ballestas, the chances are good near La Catedral (a rock-formation on the south side of the Peninsula). With luck Peruvian Thick-knee can be found in some of the fields near the town of Paracas. Supposedly, truly pelagic trips can be arranged via Hotel Paracas, but they are (from what I've heard) quite expensive. Getting "chum" from the fish-marked certainly would be no problem.

Tim and Rasmus

Thanks for the advice but the trip we were booked on was with Gunnar. Unfortunately there are only 2 of us and booked so he cannot confirm it will go ahead.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back