• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagic of Canada? (1 Viewer)

Woodchatshrike

I am going to Vancover in August. Is it worth doing a boat trip to look for seabirds and cetaceans? Does anyone know if any companies run regular trips?

Last edited:
I'm sure members from B.C. will answer, but thought I'd point you in the direction of a good sanctuary to add to your schedule. I was there a couple of months ago and had, unfortunately, too little time to explore. But for the two hours or so I was there, it was quite rewarding: http://www.reifelbirdsanctuary.com/
The sanctuary is about a 45-minute ride from Vancouver airport.
You can always google whale+watching+British+Columbia for other info if you don't hear from anyone else.
cheers,
jim

Hi,

I was there a couple of years ago in the begining of October. I don't know of any specific pelagic trips that go out from Vancouver, but you can get several of the aclids from the ferries that run between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

I also wanted to go on a pelagic so we drove down to Newport in Oregon where there a frequent trips out (www.thebirdguide.com) from there, and there are several driving birding trails back up through the cascade mountains back up to Canada and then spent several days birding within driving distance of Vancouver (usually under an hour)

Hope you had better weather than we did ;)

Cheers,

Mark

There are some great trips out of Victoria if you can manage to get over to V. Island. In August I think there are likely to be lots of Orcas around including transients and also Gray Whales.

Vancouver + Vancouver island

Hallo,

I heard in Victoria on Vancouver island is the best spot in the wourld for Killerwhales.
I was only in Tofino ( also V. island ), but only for whale watching.
There are Humpack and Greywhales. But in the trees on the coast are a lot of Boldeagles ( some of them eat salmons ).
Nearby Vancouver is also an interesting lake Pitt lake.

Best regards
Dieter

albatross02 said:
Hallo,

I heard in Victoria on Vancouver island is the best spot in the wourld for Killerwhales.
I was only in Tofino ( also V. island ), but only for whale watching.
There are Humpack and Greywhales. But in the trees on the coast are a lot of Boldeagles ( some of them eat salmons ).
Nearby Vancouver is also an interesting lake Pitt lake.

Best regards
Dieter

Thanks for that. Looks like it is going to be an amazing trip! Shame I am only going for 10 days.

Vancouver

Hallo,

again, 10 days is better than nothing.
It is not so easy to get information about Canada, it has a lot of very unspoiled areas.
For sebirds hopefully the whalewatchers could give information or ask the fishermans. For forest information ask the forest industrie ( Stellers Jay is possible to see, very nice and noisy ). Normal tourist information give only ordinary brochures.
Hopefully some Canadiens in the forum will help You.
For Your next holiday I recommed Yukon "The true North" ( hugh glaciers big wild flower fields ) and also Atlin is great.
Very good should also Nunavut, but I suppose it is difficult to organize and very expensive ?

http://members.aol.com/puffindog/narwhal.html

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back