• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Parades End" BBC Fish Eagle (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Did anyone watch Parades End last night (Benedict Cumberpatch)? What was the bird shown as a Fish Eagle? Didn't seem to be quite right to me, but I'm no expert. Can someone enlighten me please?

I'm not saying this was a mistake but it always amuses me when they get it hopelessly wrong on TV & films where birds are concerned. Anyone remember any good ones?

Could have been worse, I was asked by a friend who was working on this series what bird footage they should be using. They'd come up with African fish eagle but my friend obviously had reservations about this. I'm a bit vague now of the details, but I seem to remember they wanted footage of a Fish eagle flying around the sea cliffs of Yorkshire. Looks like the author was using a bit of artistic licence as I'd guess an Osprey in the 20's would be a Mega. Thought about suggesting White tailed eagle , but to be honest it was just as unlikely.

'Fish eagle' was a valid alternative name for Osprey, as was 'fish hawk' and 'sea hawk'. I think the scene was set in August 1914, in Northumberland, when White-tailed Eagles were still breeding in Scotland (until 1916 in the west) and Ospreys were breeding regularly up to 1908, and then occasionally up to 1916. So an Osprey, referred to as a 'sea eagle' in Northumberland in late summer 1914 is actually 'right', as migrants would also have been passing through.

But I did notice that there was the constant singing of Reed Warbler as they were dining high on the moor. Disregarding the questionable habitat, that was way north of Reed Warbler's breeding range in 1914!

Caught up with the trenches episode y'day, and they used Woodlark song instead of Skylark "on the battlefield". Surely these recordings are named?

'Fish eagle' was a valid alternative name for Osprey, as was 'fish hawk' and 'sea hawk'. I think the scene was set in August 1914, in Northumberland, when White-tailed Eagles were still breeding in Scotland (until 1916 in the west) and Ospreys were breeding regularly up to 1908, and then occasionally up to 1916. So an Osprey, referred to as a 'sea eagle' in Northumberland in late summer 1914 is actually 'right', as migrants would also have been passing through.

But I did notice that there was the constant singing of Reed Warbler as they were dining high on the moor. Disregarding the questionable habitat, that was way north of Reed Warbler's breeding range in 1914!

Parade’s End was shot in East Sussex with the South Downs making a poor alternative for heathland and a dreadful alternative to the Northumbrian coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back