• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pantanal in April (1 Viewer)

Ben H

I'm just in the process of planning a trip to Brazil for April (hooray)! I'm trying to work out, which destinations are likely to be best at that time of year.

Atlantic rain forest seems fine - but I've read mixed opinions about the Pantanal in mid April, which is just after the end of the wet season.

I wondered if anyone had travelled at that time of year and whether areas are accessible and wildlife easy to see. I guess what I'm asking is would it be much better in Sept-Oct.

I also wondered if there any other good destinations (aside from the Amazon), which would be good to combine with Atlantic forest in April. I'd ideally like somewhere with the scope to explore and walk for a few days, but most of the areas I've looked at Emas, Serra de Canastra seem a bit limited in terms of exploration.

Any help gratefully appreciated....

Cheers

Ben

Dear Ben,

My name is Marcelo and I am a birdwatching tour guide based in Cuiaba. I hope I can help you with your questions.
Birding the Pantanal in April is as good as any time, but although the rainy season is over, the pantanal is still flooded at this time of the year. Therefore the trip must be carefully planned so that you have access to the diferent types of habitat that will produce a nice list at the end.
Another inconvenience at this time are the mosquitoes, but insect repelent should be enough to resolve the matter.
If you visit the Pantanal you sould certainly visit Chapada Dos Guimaraes too. It is very close and features many species that will not be found in the Pantanal.
I recomend that you spend 5 nights in the Pantanal and 2 nights at Chapada. When you stay in the pantanal you should try to use 2 different lodges. I can help you with the choise if you decide to do this ( this will maximize the number of species you may see)
I am not sure what you mean when you say that Emas National Park and Canastra seem limited in terms of exploration. Could you be more specific? ( for more information on Emas check the thread Pantanal Birdforum and Emas NP etc. Alan Lewis and I exchanged a lot of information )

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and give you some help. feel free to contact me for any information you need on the area ( Even if you have no intention of hiring a guide ). I will be glad to assist you on anything you need.

Cheers,

Marcelo Pena Padua

We had good success on a trip to the extreme south of Brazil (from Intervales in Sao Paulo southward) this past April. If you have any specific questions about the south I may be able to offer some advice. As to the Pantanal (and elsewhere in Mato Grosso) I echo Marcelo's opinion that there shouldn't be any real problems. And as Marcelo suggests, the Chapada dos Guimaraes is an excellent area to spend at least 2 days, but more time is easily spent and that could be just the place for your 'explorations'. In fact, Mato Grosso is replete with birdy corners just waiting to be explored!

enjoy your visit to Brazil!

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back