• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls in sweden (1 Viewer)

scary-canary

Canaries forever... and i'm not always scary, some
Can anyone offer good sites for owls in eastern sweden, as I am flying in to Nykoping for a couple of days in january and would like to maximise my chances of connecting with at least a couple of species - say pygmy and hawk.

Thanks
Chris

Hawk owls: this winter, so far, has been very poor (whatever a tour organiser may advertise) in central Sweden. However, there appears to be one (which I guess is enough), stationary for a month or so in Västmanland, SW of Sala. For up to date observations and maps, use Svalan. The exact directions are:

http://www.artportalen.se/birds/default.asp

Click on the Union Jack in the top right corner.

Select 'Show records' from the tool bar, then type 'hawk owl' where the dialog box says 'species name'.

Pull down 'Region' from the tool bar, then from 'report area' select 'Västmanland' (should also work from 'province', but the maps don't then work, for some reason).

The pull down 'Period', and select 'december' and '2006'. The line above with 'your choice' should reflect all of this. If not, click on 'update'.

Now pull down 'present records', then select 'zoomable map with sightings'. The resulting map can be zoomed by clicking on the boxes to the upper right. Choosing 'List of records' from 'present records' gives the full list of observations, with dates, times etc, and mostly intelligible with a map and without any Swedish. At the spot, look for a medium-sized lump on the top of any tree, stump, pole, pylon ...

Pygmy owls: these are not uncommon, but in January you may have to rely on spotting one, rather than hearing it calling. Check anything small and compact on top of a tree, especially near dusk/dawn. Svalan (as above, with appropriate variation for region, and species name) will give the latest. Fiby (see directions in earlier thread on 'sweden in winter') is a very good place for pygmy owls.

Best of luck ...

Last years Hawk-Owl Twitch Tour went very well (see trip report in signature below), with Hawk Owl seen within 40 minutes of arriving in the country! We have added an extra day to this itinerary to include some other highly sought speices such as Pygmy Owl, Nutcracker, Pine Grosbeak, Siberian Tit and Siberian Jay, with Crested Tit and Grey-headed Woodpecker also very likely.

We have places available for February and March 07 to look for the above, please email for details.

schiffornis said:
Last years Hawk-Owl Twitch Tour went very well (see trip report in signature below), with Hawk Owl seen within 40 minutes of arriving in the country! We have added an extra day to this itinerary to include some other highly sought speices such as Pygmy Owl, Nutcracker, Pine Grosbeak, Siberian Tit and Siberian Jay, with Crested Tit and Grey-headed Woodpecker also very likely.

We have places available for February and March 07 to look for the above, please email for details.

Your trips look fantastic but I just can't afford them on what is a long weekend away from the wife and kids. I was hping for a few site recommendations. Could probably afford £50 for a guide for a day (each there are 2 of us) but would need to see lots of new species. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks

scary-canary said:
Your trips look fantastic but I just can't afford them on what is a long weekend away from the wife and kids. I was hping for a few site recommendations. Could probably afford £50 for a guide for a day (each there are 2 of us) but would need to see lots of new species. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks

I've sent you a PM Scary Canary...

aegithalos said:
http://www.artportalen.se/birds/default.asp

Now pull down 'present records', then select 'zoomable map with sightings'. The resulting map can be zoomed by clicking on the boxes to the upper right. Choosing 'List of records' from 'present records' gives the full list of observations, with dates, times etc, and mostly intelligible with a map and without any Swedish. At the spot, look for a medium-sized lump on the top of any tree, stump, pole, pylon ...

Best of luck ...
Thanks foir the help, which has been very useful. i am still a bit puzzled as to how to know which field, backyard, pond, bay to look in for the bird. The maps are good but written directions would be very helpful. Are there written directions in swedish that i am just not seeing/understanding or is there a swedish twitching site which people pay to subscribe to?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back