• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls in Sussex (1 Viewer)

ballargan

Hi

could someone please tell me of a good spot or spots to spot owls in sussex. I have only ever seen 2 owls in the wild and I would like to change that.

Thanks Ballargan

Tawny: Very difficult to find, but occurs in almost every wood. You'll just have to be lucky to come across a roosting bird, or keep your ears open for news of them. There was a day roost at Burton Mill pond this winter, but I think that may have gone out of action.

Little: Fairly common. Best found around large old trees. The big trees almost opposite Staple Ash farm on the edge of West Dean Woods often has them (cSU841152).

Long-eared: Very rare. Best to just wait for one to be found in winter.

Short-eared: Occasional in winter. The best areas to find these are on the Downs around The Burgh (TQ0411), or the nearby marshes at Waltham Brooks (TQ0215).

Barn: Occasional. Again, Waltham Brooks was once the best place to find them, although during the cold weather, a dead bird was found, so might not be there. Otherwise difficult, but I have heard of a bird showing occasionally at the back of the Ferry Pool at Pagham Harbour.

Last edited:
And I forgot Pulborough Brooks too, I think a pair are currently breeding in the visitor centre.

Wow! Didn't know that. Better get back up there then.

For another Barn Owl site, the road between Storrington and Amberley train station (B2139) often has a hunting Barn Owl in the fields round where the turning is off that road into Amberley village proper: more or less grid TQ035129.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back