• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out and about without a scope... (1 Viewer)

iebirdie

Hi all:
Scopes are great for "planned" birding outings but oftentimes much opportunistic (and good) birding is done while out and about, and through bins because my Kowa 821 is just too big to tote around . While I enjoy going to the reserves etc with my scope, I am finding that I am doing a lot of birding while out and about generally, e.g. walking or biking along a nearby estuary where I live. Yes, there are great lightweight scopes/tripods/monopods around, but I don't think I would get the value out of a second "lightweight" scope purchase, but I would consider getting another pair of bins.

I am sure lots of other birders have this dilemma. Can anyone recommend a good allround binoculars for this purpose ? It would need to be fairly compact (but not necessarily so as I usually carry a rucksack), good optics and excellent magnification (10x) because much viewing done at estuary shore. I have seen the Leica Duovid (8x and 12x) - in theory should be ideal but looks a bit gimmicky.

Thanks for advice.
Niall

Hi Niall - I'm no "techie", but I'm still thrilled with the binoculars I bought when an elderly uncle sent me a wonderful surprise cheque. I bought the Canon - Image Stabilizer ones. I'll quote what is written on them, though it doesn't mean a lot to me: 15x45 IS UD 4.5º.

I spent a long time agonising over the choice between 12X and 15X. The 15X are a bit heavy, and I still occasionally wonder if it might have been better to have the 12X. Of course if you don't have a generous uncle you may well feel they cost too much, but they really are amazing.

Leica Duovid (8x and 12x) - in theory should be ideal but looks a bit gimmicky.
From the quite favourable reviews I have seen, I don't think that Leica are into gimmicks. If I had the money I would definitely buy a pair of these binoculars, and like Elizabeth Bigg with her Canon IS binoculars, I would need some time to decide on the magnification range! - Just remembered, I have yet to check my Lotto numbers!

Roger

The Leica Duovids are an excellent binocular - I got a pair about two months ago and have no regrets at all. I mainly use them on 8x magnification and they perform excellently (when I tested them they were as good as the 8x42BNs) - however I have found that the 12x magnification is very useful when caught without a scope, the image quality remains excellent.

That said they are not the lightest of binoculars and they are expensive - though I would say well worth it. If you want a lighter binocular the Swarovski 10x32 ELs are worth a look (though also expensive), as with all optics make sure you try all the options before you buy.

I used to carry a Kowa 501 with a Cullman shoulder pod when I did not want to take out the bid scope (though this has now been relegate to just a travel scope since I got the Duovids). However such a set up would only cost you about £200 and is very light to carry....

I swear by the Nikon 10x42 hg dcf. They are solid and have great ergonomics and excellent optics. For non-waterproof binocs I'd suggest you look at the 10x42 Nikon Superior E's. Many American reviewers consider the Nikons the best around, and the prices are lower than Swarovskis. I have just purchased a Swaro scope, so don't consider myself biased one way or the other.

I've always found that scopes (and tripods) are just to much bagage when watching birds in the more remote locations. Once you've got your food, drink, waterproofs, wooly hat etc. packed in the bag there's not much room for anything else especially if you're covering a distance and also climbing. But it is sometines so annoying to be restricted to 8X magnification of typical binoculars.

I solved this problem 10 years ago when I bought a 8 to 20X adjustable zoom scope. it's light weight and about 12inches long. It was a former USSR scope that I presume had been sold in bulk into the UK market. It had no attachment points, but just a grip thread on the outside.

I've always used it in the countryside as it fits easily down the side of my bag, or is esily held in my hand for hours because of it's small size and light weight.

The only requirement (when using it up to 20X mag) is someone elses shoulder or a tree/fence as a rest. It's also acted as a cow/dog deterant on a few occasions when the blighters didn't like me crossing their patch.

I used it last weekend for a magical 20X view of green woodpeckers.

it's always slipped down the side of the rucksack just incase.

I saw a birder last week with some Swaro bins, he saw something interesting and fitted a Swaro 2x lens to one of the Bins eyepieces.
I had a peer through and the view was amazing!.

sorry for belated posting

Kowa flourite 601 (I thnk) on a shoulder pod serves me fine - easy to carry, no weight and you can get on the birds quick while everyone else is unravelling their legs etc. and u don't take out anyone's eye on the east bank with your fully extended tripod either ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back