• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ourique birds (1 Viewer)

bella34

Hello.
We have a cottage for two weeks in August near Ourique in the Alentejo, I know roughly what to expect to see but not exactly the best areas at that time of year, any advice would be most welcome .
Thanks, Alan.

Hello.
We have a cottage for two weeks in August near Ourique in the Alentejo, I know roughly what to expect to see but not exactly the best areas at that time of year, any advice would be most welcome .
Thanks, Alan.

Hello Alan,

August is not an easy time of year in that area, because of the heat. Maximum temperatures can easily reach 36 or 37 degrees in early afternoon. Furthermore, many areas will be extremely dry and with very few birds.

Nevertheless I think you can see great birds if you follow the right strategy.

Your best bet will be the water bodies, where a lot of birds tend to concentrate during summer, including grebes, ducks, herons, spoonbills, waders, terns and many others. Migration is already going on at that time of year so you may well see some unexpected migrants.

The most important reservoir near Ourique is Monte da Rocha (10 km west of town). Good watchpoints are here 37.709182, -8.295298 and 37.727810, -8.294493.

There are smaller reservoirs around Castro Verde, e.g. at:
37.707424, -8.103949
37.719704, -8.086696
37.820431, -8.093262

You can also try to search for land birds along the minor roads, but an early start is essencial, as most birds will be quiet by midday. The best period for birdwatching runs from sunrise until about 11 am.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Gonçalo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back