• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron GS52 ED (1 Viewer)

Excellent stuff, Moocher! The image quality with this little scope looks great. Am I right in thinking it was shot on an iPhone?

Mike

Just had a look at your YouTube video, some impressive results, which eye piece were you using with the scope?

Impressive results. Very nice indeed. May I ask what conversion process you used on your video. I also own a GS-52 and have been experiencing less than satisfactory results when filming distant birds (as expected...).
This one was filmed from about 150 metres (according to Google Earth) with GS52 (plus Panasonic DMC-FS40) and it was okeyish until I converted it for youtube. The image lost definition with most plumage details gone (the fine barring is definitely not visible anymore). Am I missing any trick to upload correctly and avoid the loss of detail? Thanks.

Just had a look at your YouTube video, some impressive results, which eye piece were you using with the scope?

Hi Hauki,

The eyepiece is the HDF 40809. This is 18x magnification on the GS52 ED. it's ideal for digiscoping and Videoscoping. The image quality with this eyepiece is outstanding.

Regards

Moocher

Impressive results. Very nice indeed. May I ask what conversion process you used on your video. I also own a GS-52 and have been experiencing less than satisfactory results when filming distant birds (as expected...).
This one was filmed from about 150 metres (according to Google Earth) with GS52 (plus Panasonic DMC-FS40) and it was okeyish until I converted it for youtube. The image lost definition with most plumage details gone (the fine barring is definitely not visible anymore). Am I missing any trick to upload correctly and avoid the loss of detail? Thanks.

Hi. I'm no expert in the finer points of YouTube and video uploading. If I was to hazard a guess to what has happened to your video it would be this.

In my video editing program, I used iMovie on my iPad. Once the video is ready to upload, it wants to upload it at a low resolution to make the upload a swifter process. This low resolution upload is the default setting.

I over ride this and select either 720p or HD upload quality. Obviously it takes longer to upload your clip, but you keep the detail of the birds you filmed.

So, my suggestion would be to see if the video editing program you are using allows you to select upload quality, and select one of the higher resolutions.

I hope that is of some help?

Regards

Moocher

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back