• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opaque and greenish view (2 Viewers)

It is. The big knob at the end of the hinge is one giveaway.

I cannot understand symbol destruction at all because it destroys history. Obviously some people do not want people to learn from it (maybe reading 'It can"t happen here' by Sinclair Lewis would be a good start). And strangely enough it is only done in some cases. No one would dream of destroying the symbols of the war criminals who carpet bombed Laos with napalm. Or of those that bombed Dresden into an inferno. History is always distorted written by the winners - sometimes even when the winners aren't winners at all, as in the case of Vietnam.

I'd be interested to know where the appeal of binoculars from this era lies. WW2 and even the 1930s I can understand, as optical design had improved quite a bit and there were some intriguing designs (the Zeiss 8x40 extra wide etc). But first quarter of last century is winding the clock a very long way back. What exactly do collectors (and anyone buying binoculars that old has to be a collector, really) see in them?

I can only speak for myself, but unlike the 'alphisti' who get hard-ons for every 1/4% more transmission and get their panties in a bunch over whether infinity should be CCW or CW, I am interested in the technolgy in general and the way the view changed. When I got my 1927 Telexem I was able to look at the world the way folks in 1927 did - and I was amazed at how clear and sharp that view actually was without any coatings, only excellent quality craftsmanship and precision.
This one I got for the same reasons, plus the history behind it AND the thought of trying my hand a restoring it. Which might not be necessary if LPT is right. I shall see next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back