• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One more gull: Yellow - legged this time? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

As in the title - I will add that the date is August, Poland, Podhale.

Attachments

• _MG_5913.JPG
    _MG_5913.JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 30
  • _MG_5914.JPG
    _MG_5914.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • _MG_5915.JPG
    _MG_5915.JPG
    751 KB · Views: 30
  • _MG_5916.JPG
    _MG_5916.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • _MG_5910.JPG
    _MG_5910.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 32
Hello Michal,
yes it looks very good for a juvenile YLG for me too. Including the right dark mask around the eye and a heavy bill.
Paler areas on the underwing still seems to have substantial barring, not unmarked whitish like the many birds that I identify as Caspian Gulls in NE Germany.

But better wait for Lou!

Looks good for YLG, especially on the pattern of greater coverts and tertials. Note that juvenile Caspian Gulls also have a mask, usually a bit less contrasting, more washed, often more extended than in michahellis, and they can virtually have the same underwing pattern as seen here. Best, if you try to get a pic with the open tail from above - that's quite a stabile feature (black band tapering towards corners in michahellis, parallel and broader in cachinnans).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back