• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olu Deniz Fethiye Turkey (1 Viewer)

Cudyll Bach

Spain
I am visiting Olu Deniz for a fortnight from 21st of June. I have found a few trip reports from the area but none for this period, they are mostly from migration periods. Can anyone tell me what species are likely to be resident in and around Olu Deniz?

hi cudyll,i have been to this area on a few occasions in the past on family holidays in may.Sorry to dissapoint but i havent found the birding anything like majorca,where i have also spent time.Head for dalyan delta for best birds.Rock nuthatch,roller,bee eater,few raptors.Olu deniz is plagued by paragliders who come from bagadad mountain and back all day.not many raptors there.I think the best place i found around olu was the ghost village where i remember roller,bee eater,blackheaded bunting,spar,booted eagle,wagtails.I hope this helps.

Thanks Dubs that helps, I am considering taking the plunge and trying paragliding. As for the birds, looks like I will be heading for the mountains and to Dalyan.

I'll be returning from Dalyan on 10th June and will try to remember to post a brief report.

At that time of year can be good for Shrikes (Woodchat, Red-backed, Lesser Grey & Masked), the odd Pygmy Cormorant still on the lake but hard work, still some of the commoner wetland species, egrets, marsh terns etc, and always a good selection of raptors.

Although it will be getting a bit late I'll also be trying for White-throated Robin near Mugla and my regular search for White-breasted Kingfisher around Koyceygiz (strike rate around 5%!)

Can u take your bins on the paragliding decent!Good luck.Nice kebabs and ice cream down in olu deniz by the way!

Lots of shrike around(all 4 local species) at the moment like Rob suggested,also plenty of Buntings ,Cretzschmars,Black headed and quite a few Whinchat,raptors a few Red footed and some Eleonoras,should be good for harriers as well.

Off there this Saturday - for 2 weeks but we're staying inland from olu Deniz on the edge of the Taurus Mountains.

Will be concentrating on the Cavdir-Gogo-Sogut-Korkuteli areas for White-Throated Robin, Red-Fronted Serin, Crimson-Winged Finch, Rock Thrush, plus the buntings, wheateatrs & shrikes. Also breeding Shore Lark up there as well as raptors, etc.

Was in Dalyan in September/October last year which was a bit late as most of summer birds were gone but I'll be having a day around Dalyan/Iztusu Beach then onto Lake Koycegiz/Hamitkoy.

The pine woods around Istuzu beach were good for Krupers Nuthatch and the like and is also supposed to be good for the woodpeckers, flycatchers and Sombre Tit and areas around Hamitkoy for the Kingfishers?

There's also a couple of noticeable lagoons at he beach which may have the odd wader on them. Also, as you drive towards the beach there's vast areas of wetland (forms part of the reedbed delta) which would be worth stopping off at for a quick scan - Spur Winged Lapwing get on there.

As you come into Dalyan there's a couple of obvious small hillocks surrounded on one side by a large reedbed - that area's worth checking out for Roller, Rock Nuthatch, Ruppels Warbler and the reedbeds should also be good for various warblers, Penduline Tit, harriers.....

I'll also be visiting some of the historical sites (Kayakoy, Xanthos) which should offer some good birding opportunities as well - again the likes of Roller, shrikes, buntings and wheatears, etc.

To be honest though, I'll just be happy to dust down the shorts and sandals and potter about with the bins as there's so many good and varied habitats around there - buntings, warblers and shrikes are possible just about anywhere, including the resort areas.

Quick question while I'm on but does anyone know whether Snowfinch and Alpine Accentor are possible in May in the hills around Korkuteli? Can't find out much about these species at this time of year?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that's really cheered me up. I thought I was in for a birdless holiday. I took a boat trip to Turtle beach last year, in May, the only birds I saw were two yellow wagtails of the feldegg variety, which were absoluely stunning and a heron species which I had only a millisecond view of.

The first time I visited Turkey I actually went from my resort to Dalyan and stayed a couple of days.

Accomodation is very reasonable, and acouple of days in the area 9as opposed to the couple of hours you'll have had from your boat trip) will pay dividends.

I agree with the places Alan has mentioned, Istuzu beach is also good for raptors, Steppe & Long-legged Buzzard, Short-toed Eagle, Eleanora's, Black Kite especially but others appear (although it helps spending a few days on the beach with your bins at the ready!).

He's also right that good migrants turn up anywhere - Dalyan's obvious benefit over Deniz is the wetland birds.

You'll have a great trip!

This I know comes rather late but in case anyone with a similar trip in mind wanders passed...

Olu Deniz itself seems to me to be a birdless waste - the odd Kingfisher, Common Sand, Y l Gull. Admittedly I've only visited the lagoon and not the ground beneath Baga Dag. I have seen Yellow-vntd Bulbul here though.

A couple of summers ago I stayed up the hill in Hisaronou at the Tayfun apts. I was chuffed to find that the only decent bit of habitat started at the end of the street we were staying on. This area of 'wasteground', arable land, horse paddocks and orchard and scrub lies behind the school and council yard. In August I failed to pass the 50 species mark but nonetheless walked the area every morning and thoroughly enjoyed the 'no pressure' feel.

All 4 shrikes were well represented. Cretchzmar's (must learn to spell that one day), Black-headed and Cirl Bunts, Sombre Tit, Middle and Syrian peckers, Tawny pip, Hoopoe, Roller, Olivaceous War and Turtle Dove.

Beyond, this area gives way uphill to typical pine forest with asia minor Long-tld tit and Great Tit, though interestingly, no Krupers ... that can't be right but my notes say it is.

Persevere here as it becomes birdless and pass, on your left, a very nice looking villa complex replete with deer and vines and gardens - looks a very nice place to stay, tasteful and quiet. Just as you've passed this is a gateway through which you will behold an almost 'biblical' valley. Searingly hot and arid (carry water). At the very end of this can just be seen the pile that is Fethiye - but you could be anywhere in the middle east. Yep you guessed it - I loved this place. Chukar, Subalp, Bl e Wheatear, Ruppell's, Red b Shrike and Long-l Buzz and not a soul. Were it not for the occasional barbed wire fence it could have been anytime in the last billion years or something mad like that.

Nothing earth shattering but not bad for the family hol where I'm expected back at the hotel in the same day.

Also worth mentioning is the hillock just off the high street. This is accessible from a track which is opposite the CEM chemist. On this tiny bit of scrub are Ruppell's Wars being ridiculously easy, Shrikes, Serin and Eastern Bonelli's.

i am going to calis beach fethiye turkey first week in september has any one got any info/ sites for birds/butterflies.thanks

Hi All,i'm going to Hisonaru for three weeks late May till mid June this year any tips,locations and guide book info would be gratefully received.
Regards
Michael

Hi all off to Fethiye on Friday 23rd of April if the volcanic dust allows the plane to leave, any info on this area would be most welcomed thanks in advance

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back