• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Minox Porros 8 x 40 info please (2 Viewers)

Geronimo47

Hello, I think this is my first post but have been reading for a few months now.

I acquired this pair of binoculars at the weekend from a boot-sale in the UK and wondered if anybody could help me with any information on them as I have searched internet to no avail.

The markings are as follows:-

On the plate next to left eyepiece:

MINOX
COATED OPTICS
D + N

On the right hand plate:

8 x 40
Field 6.5°

on the central bar at the objective lens end:

MADE IN JAPAN ®*

*(the "R" is actually in a square box on its edge as opposed to a circle but I couldn't work out how to type that!)

size: 15cm x 17cm

I am no optics expert, having been used to using a range of budget bins in my time, but the view through these binoculars, actually, seem very good by comparison.

I have looked on the Minox website, the Minox historical site and wiki etc. but
they seem to deal almost exclusively with the company's cameras and recent range of bins.

Any advice welcome. Many thanks

a couple of pictures I have just worked out how to upload in the hope that they may help.

Attachments

• DSC04746.JPG
    DSC04746.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC04748.JPG
    DSC04748.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 150
a couple of pictures I have just worked out how to upload in the hope that they may help.

They have coated (vs fully coated or fully.multi coated) and the front optics have that orange or amber colored coating so I would say at least 35 years old and probably middle market. If you like the view that's what counts so enjoy them.

many thanks for the reply, roadbike.

I find them quite relaxing on the eyes compared to other pairs I have and very clear for daytime viewing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back