• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oland, (sp?) Sweeden trip (1 Viewer)

Taco

sometime next august or so, I might (not sure if were going yet) be traveling to Oland (spelling?) in Sweeden for a family reunion. I was hoping to get some birding in while I was there, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to go for any of the birds there, I have never traveled to Europe for birding so any bird I see that I cant see here in the states will be new. Any information on birding around Oland, or just that general area would be greatly appreciated. One of the things that I would really like to do would to see some ocean going birds, if their around that island.
Thanks,
Taco:eat:

Hi Taco,

Never been to Öland myself, but it has a VERY good reputation for birding, and the island is mostly rural, so it shouldn't be difficult to get a good big list there.

There's a few seabirds there, but it isn't out in the ocean, barely more than like the Great Lakes in fact (the Baltic Sea is so enclosed as to be almost fresh water). Some you'll recognise from home like Caspian Tern, but there are some small colonies of Black Guillemot, Common Murre and Razorbill around the island (don't know exactly where, but they'll be on small islets just offshore, not on the main island). Other problem is, August is a bit late in the summer to see them easily, by then the chicks will be fledged and off out to sea.

What will be good in August is the shorebird passage - birds like Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Green Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, Broad-billed Sandpiper, Ruff, etc., etc., should all be easy on mudflats.

Michael

Thanks a lot! Those sandpipers would be great to see, I have heard rare sightings of Redshanks and ruffs (someone told me of one right near our house once) in north america, and I had been hoping I might see some someday. I was wondering also what might be a good field guide to the birds of sweeden?
Thanks again

Taco said:
sometime next august or so, I might (not sure if were going yet) be traveling to Oland (spelling?) in Sweeden for a family reunion. I was hoping to get some birding in while I was there, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to go for any of the birds there, I have never traveled to Europe for birding so any bird I see that I cant see here in the states will be new. Any information on birding around Oland, or just that general area would be greatly appreciated. One of the things that I would really like to do would to see some ocean going birds, if their around that island.

Öland is one of the most popular birding spots in Sweden. A huge part of the birders in Sweden, including me, go there in week 22 (later half of May). Mid October is also very popular with eastern vagrants as the main attractions. What you will be able to see will, as always in this country, depend on the time of year.

The most popular part is the southern tip and the forrest around Ottenby. The entire east cost at least up to the middle of the inland and Beijershamn on the west cost a bit south of the bridge also is good for rarities. Rather few birders but many tourists travel far north of the bridge, but its said to be good birding there as well. I could continue but the Island has to many nice places to write down here.

I can recommend a small booklet containing information on the best birding spots "Fågellokaler på Öland". Its perhaps not the best of guides but contains lot of useful information. Its only available in Swedish i'm afraid. If can be bought from www.naturbokhandeln.com. The site is in Swedish but they will be able to answer in english if you call or write.

Öland is also famous for its orchids with late May and June as the best period.

I will have to disappoint you on the ocean going birds tough. Other than in extreme cases these can only be seen on the Swedish west cost. And even there normaly only in the autumn during storms from the west.

There is a nature bookstore in SE Öland ("Stenhusa Bod", nowadays "Naturbokhandeln" - the best nature bookstore in Nordic Countries?), that is worth visiting, to get a copy of Collins bird guide (Svensson-Mullarney-Zetterstöm-Grant; the best euroguide)...

Just got back from a trip, thanks for the help, I am really starting to get excited about going there. I noticed how many birds I hadn't seen when I read that trip report, sounds great. Seems like we are probally going for sure now, but it is still a ways off.
Thanks again!

Just to tease you some more. By following this link http://svalan.environ.se/rappsyst/dagens.asp?dag=0&artid=0&sort=regstatus&landskapid=4 you can get a day to day report on what has been seen on Öland. The page is only in Swedish, but an English version is said to be available around March. There will probably not be much serious action anyhow at least until mid april then the spring migration starts to take up to speed.

A small advice then reading trip reports from Sweden. Everything is very seasonal here and what is possible to see is very dependent on the time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back