• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Looking Marsh Flower for ID Please (1 Viewer)

LizandDave

I found two of these plants in "flower" today in a boggy area off the River Darent in Kent today.
I have scoured my books and websites trying to ID it and failed.

They were about 3 feet tall with stalkless flowers clasping the hairy stem. There appears to be 6 folded back and forked sepals/petals which may be off white/yellow green in colour with a protruding style and anthers inside a cup shape.
The leaves were near the base, stalkless and quite similar to a Dove's Foot Cranesbill leaf but much bigger.
Sorry about the quality of the photo, but I only had a compact camera and was at full stretch with one foot sinking in mud and the camera in one hand! And it was getting dark!
I have no idea what this is, can you help please?
Dave

Attachments

• no id marsh plant sevenoaks kwt 240414axxx.jpg
    no id marsh plant sevenoaks kwt 240414axxx.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 56
Not particularly a marsh plant, it's a garden escape that does occasionally naturalise- Fringe Cups, Tellima grandiflora.

Oddly enough I found several more of these by the lakes at Bluewater today.
Loads of pea family coming into flower, sainfoin, goats rue, meadow vetchling, bush vetch, common vetch, spotted clover, sulphur clover and red clover.
Dave.

Another one you often find in similar situations is Tolmiea menziesii (Piggyback plant). It too likes damp situations. Might be worth getting familiar with as it too is probably not in modern books. My memory tells me they were in books like McLintock and Fitter, but it might be my memory is just rubbish.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back