• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Occular Size differences between Brands? (1 Viewer)

Northman

I was wondering if people know or could measure their spotting scope occulars to see what difference there is between them.

I bought one with near 48mm diameter occular and it made it difficult to get a good fit and viewing comfortable.

Tried another manufacturer with 40mm which fit better, but smaller lens.

For what it's worth, here are a couple of measurements:

Kowa TE11WZ (25-60x zoom for 77, 88 & 99 scopes), eyecup dia. 55 mm, eye lens dia. 25 mm.

Swarovski 30x W (for ATM/STM & ATS/STS scopes), eyecup dia. 50 mm, eye lens dia. 29 mm.

There is a relationship between eye relief, eye lens dia. and AFoV and zoom eyepieces may involve larger external diameters because of internal mechanics. The Kowa zoom has an AFoV of 55° to 69° and the fixed focal length Swarovski an AFoV of 65°.

I have a 63 mm IPD and have to incline my head slightly to the right when viewing through the Kowa eyepiece with my right eye, but do not find that particularly uncomfortable.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back