• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not To Be Missed New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Ranger James

Hi There,

The wife and I are planning an all too short excursion to New Zealand in April, only a couple of weeks so we are not trying to fit in much. With rellies in North Island we are sticking to looking there.

Question is, what are the not to be missed birding spots on North Island?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

Hi James,

A couple of weeks on the North-Island will give you the chance to see all the best spots. The spots I can recommend if you stay that long on the North Island;
-Aroha Island ecological centre (Bay of Islands)
-Tiritiri Matangi Island (Auckland; Hauraki Gulf)
-Miranda (Firth of Thames)
-Karori Wildlife Sanctuary (Wellington)
-Kapiti Island (Kapiti Coast)
-Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre (Wairarapa)
-Take a pelagic with Pterodroma Pelagics (Auckland, Hauraki Gulf, you might
see a NZ Storm-petrel!)
This selection of places will give you a good chance of seeing most endemics that can be found on the North-Island. All are on beautifull places (difficult to find ugly places in NZ anyway). Of course there are other worthwile places to visit for birding, but the ones mentioned will give you lot of fun. I wouldn't skip the pelagic because it will give you species that you will not find anywhere else so conveniently (good value for money)

Have great fun and I would appreciate if you let me know how the trip has gone via private messages. (I am writing a book on birdwatching in NZ for which I am very interested in experiences of visitors).

Cheers,
Leo

Last edited:
Nz

Hi,

I think Gannet at Muriway beach away in April.
Northern Kaka very is to find in Whirinaki forest. Fine forest with lot of hugh Kahikatea ( 65 m tall trees ).
Northland forests I think is a must. Not so for the birdlife, rather for the big Kauri trees.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back