• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland in August (1 Viewer)

Jampots

Planning family holiday in Northumberland mid-August. Won't be able to spend all the time birding but would appreciate recommendations for best places to visit for birds and what I could expect to see at that time of year. I know it's not the 'best' time to visit but tied to school holidays unfortunately. Would really love to see puffins - will they still be around?
Thanks for any help
Jampots

Hi Jampots

The Druridge Bay area should be good in August. I recommend East Chevington, but Hauxley, Druridge pools and Cresswell pond are also well worth a visit.
In August, if the weather is right, you sould get Arctic and Great Skuas, also Manx Shearwaters offshore. You will get Puffins aswell, but I think your best chance of good views, will be a trip across to the Farne Islands. I have never been there as late as August, so not exactly sure how many birds will still be around.

If you need any more infomation just let me know.

Last edited:
Yo Jampots,

As Vipers states coastal ares best for birds in August, in addition I would suggest the Dunstanburgh coastal walk (evocative and good birds) and anywhere further north, we have some of the finest unspoilt coastline and beaches, Newton Pools worth a visit, and of course Bamburgh, Budle Bay and Lindisfarne vast tidal area should be lots of waders etc, stunning scenery, castles and steeped in history.

No doubt others with more local knowledge will be along shortly to offer you their advice and sites (we Northumbrians are well represented in BF)

Whereabouts are you staying? (rough location only)

Stewart

:bounce:

Perhaps pop along to Amble too. The fishermen often run boat cruises around Coquet Island where a lot of Puffins breed.
Also, from Seahouses, boat trips onto the Farnes...would imagine there would still be a few birds there.

Just checked new copy of Birds On The Farne Islands in 2004...Mmmm not promising...first puffins arrived later than normal on 14th April, first eggs on Inner Farne on 21st April and Brownsman on 26th April. First young discovered by late May and young were seen departing from late June.
The first real departure of birds occurred on 25th July and most were gone by early August though late adults were seen carrying food back to nest sites over Inner Farne on 18th and 20th August. Small numbers were seen throughout the autumn and early winter.

BUT....don't give up LOL You may be lucky and see some still hanging around the Islands.

GILL

Hi Jampots

Mid to late August you will almost be guaranteed Roseate Terns at Whitley Bay as they prepare to migrate. It's North Tyneside but near enough. Some decent birding there in August. Along with large numbers of waders and Roseates I also saw Black Terns last August.

Hope you have a good trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back