• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland, Farne, Terns - advice needed! (1 Viewer)

gc220

Hi all,

Me and the missus are coming to Northumberland for a week in June.

She absolutely loves Terns and so it seems an obvious choice to go over to Inner Farne. However the boat trips over all seem to be just a 1 hour stay on the island. Knowing her she would like to be sitting there with the camera for at least 1/2 day or even go across for a full day. Is it possible to just get a boat there in the morning and then picked up in the afternoon/evening to maximise the time there?

Also, which is the best boat firm to use: Billy Shields, Serendipity or any others?

Lastly, are there any other Tern colony's on the mainland that you can visit, so as to be able to watch them as long as we wish - I hear from trawling these forums that there are Arctic and Little terns on Beadnell Bay - is this still true, and are they easy to find?

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you
Gary.

The only island you can land on that has breeding terns is Inner Farne, and landings there don't start until 13:00.

I've organised trips to the Farne Islands since 1998 - from bespoke one-to-one photography tuition all the way up to groups of 20+ - and always used Billy Shiel's Boat Trips. I get on well with Andrew at Serenity too, and my clients who've booked on Serenity for trips to the Farnes have been impressed. You won't go wrong booking with either of them :t:

If you park in Beadnell, and walk southwest through the caravan site and keep heading along the path down the coast, or park at Newton Links and walk north on the footpath from there, you'll find the wardened tern colony.

cheers
martin

Hi all,

Me and the missus are coming to Northumberland for a week in June.

She absolutely loves Terns and so it seems an obvious choice to go over to Inner Farne. However the boat trips over all seem to be just a 1 hour stay on the island. Knowing her she would like to be sitting there with the camera for at least 1/2 day or even go across for a full day. Is it possible to just get a boat there in the morning and then picked up in the afternoon/evening to maximise the time there?

Also, which is the best boat firm to use: Billy Shields, Serendipity or any others?

Lastly, are there any other Tern colony's on the mainland that you can visit, so as to be able to watch them as long as we wish - I hear from trawling these forums that there are Arctic and Little terns on Beadnell Bay - is this still true, and are they easy to find?

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you
Gary.

You can book to go out on one boat and ask to come back on another. As Martin says, you can't land on the island until the afternoon, but there's not usually a problem to spend the whole afternoon there.

You might also want to consider a boat trip out to Coquet island. You can't land, unfortunately, but it is your best bet for Roseate terns. Boats leave from Amble.

Thanks to both Martin and Lazza for your advice and information. We really appreciate it and will definitely try all of your suggestions.

Looking forward to it now and you have both definitely made me surer of a few things....
Cheers guys!

Are the boat trips still running to Coquet Island. If so do you have details of times please. I have tried emailing Puffin cruises but no reply as yet. Thank you.

Sailing times vary, depending on the tide. To check times. and to book, you can call 01665 711975 or 07752 861914

cheers
martin

Are the boat trips still running to Coquet Island. If so do you have details of times please. I have tried emailing Puffin cruises but no reply as yet. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back