• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northey Island (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I planning to meet up with an old friend next month who lives in West Horndon , a novice birder, and he asked me to look into Northey Island.

Any visitor information would be much appreciated as I have never visited there.

Is it good for birding this time of year, any photographic opportunties?

Thanks

BB

Hi BB
As you probably know its a tidal island owned by the National Trust. You can walk on to it along a causeway at low tide but need to phone the NT first to get permission (01621 853142).
The scenery is good but there is in my view no 'must see' sites on the island (no Gothic Abbeys/ haunted castles...)
Personally I think the views are just as good all along the main river sea wall.
I would suggest parking in the Promenade Car Park at Maldon. From there walk along the promenade itself on the river side of the park (great statue at the end!) and great spot for touristy photos. Here you can have great views of wader flocks (Golden Plovers) as well as really close views of duck if the tide is on the way in. There has recently been a Peregrine bombing around.
Then I would suggest walking East along the sea wall- past the yacht club and then the tip and then you may well have the sea wall to yourself for miles. There can be fantastic close views of Brent Geese and also Wigeon, Teal, Little Egrets, all assuming the tide is reasonably high. If tide is low, the Geese may be on adjacent fields. You may end up with views of Geese flying low over head between fields & the river. After half a mile or so you get to the Northey Island causeway. If you can carry on the sea wall for another half mile or so you pass Limbourne Creek. Just beyond there have recently been 2 very photogenic Short-eared Owls as well as a difficult to see Hen Harrier.
Good luck!
John

Hi BB
As you probably know its a tidal island owned by the National Trust. You can walk on to it along a causeway at low tide but need to phone the NT first to get permission (01621 853142).
The scenery is good but there is in my view no 'must see' sites on the island (no Gothic Abbeys/ haunted castles...)
Personally I think the views are just as good all along the main river sea wall.
I would suggest parking in the Promenade Car Park at Maldon. From there walk along the promenade itself on the river side of the park (great statue at the end!) and great spot for touristy photos. Here you can have great views of wader flocks (Golden Plovers) as well as really close views of duck if the tide is on the way in. There has recently been a Peregrine bombing around.
Then I would suggest walking East along the sea wall- past the yacht club and then the tip and then you may well have the sea wall to yourself for miles. There can be fantastic close views of Brent Geese and also Wigeon, Teal, Little Egrets, all assuming the tide is reasonably high. If tide is low, the Geese may be on adjacent fields. You may end up with views of Geese flying low over head between fields & the river. After half a mile or so you get to the Northey Island causeway. If you can carry on the sea wall for another half mile or so you pass Limbourne Creek. Just beyond there have recently been 2 very photogenic Short-eared Owls as well as a difficult to see Hen Harrier.
Good luck!
John

"photogenic Short-eared Owls" I miss them every time I go down there haha. What's the best time to see them?

I saw the Hen Harrier, managed to get a poor photo.

Attachments

• 6266794084_3c42fa6938_o.jpg
    6266794084_3c42fa6938_o.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 109
I think John Buchanan covered most of the answer but would like to add a couple of points.

If you do wish to visit Northey, Bo Palmer, the resident warden, on the number John showed, will provide the necessary approval to go to the island and tour the newer, inner sea wall. If you need to use the outer wall, (e.g. for surveys) additional approval is required. I can provide details on request.

While John rightly points out the benefits of Maldon, I believe that Heybridge Basin, nearby, usually has the edge in species and numbers. If you have transport, however, a visit to Old Hall holds the best prospect for a memorable day on the Blackwater. I would suggest calling the RSPB office there first and getting approval to use the carpark. It is about 11 Km around the perimeter so another 4 getting to and from would be wearisome.

"I saw the Hen Harrier, managed to get a poor photo.

Hi Tom- you're being modest- I think you were the one who first found the Hen Harrier. It took me about 6 attempts to get it, but on the last go I think I also saw another as well, further round by Lawling Creek.
As for the Owls, they may have moved on (or further along the coast)

On the down side, I am becoming increasingly concerned about how long it is since I have seen a Barn Owl locally. I can't rmemeber when I last saw one around Limbourne (where they used to be dependable) and I haven't seen one at Osea since the Summer. I hope this is just an aberation on my part and not a real decline... Have other people seen them in their regular haunts?

John

Oh I see, I'll have to try and catch up with the SEO's at Abberton then!

ummm Barn Owls, haven't seen one since June at Blue House Farm when they had a pair nesting. Been there a lot since and haven't seen one, although I haven't been there in the evening.

Just been down to Limbourne Creek.

FINALLY! saw the Short-eared Owl, been searching for it since April! Unfortunately quite distant hunting on the fields behind the decoy pond along with the Hen Harrier which was nice :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back