• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nordrhein Westfalen question (3 Viewers)

lazza

I will be away on business in late February in Nordrhein-Westfalen, flying into and out of Düsseldorf and travelling up to Minden. I should be able to get some time free during my journey, so my question is:

Which are the good sites for bird-life between Minden and Düsseldorf?

I will stay one night in Hagen, so if there is a good birding location close to Hagen, that would be ideal. But I will have my own car, so I can get to any good site that is close to the A2 Autobahn.

Vielen Dank!

Hi,

the most well known area in the region is probably the Rieselfelder near Münster . That is somewhat halfway between Düsseldorf and Minden, though a bit off the A2.

If you are after specific birds, have a look at ornitho.de, where you can look up recent sightings.

Best, Florian

The Weseraue just north of Minden are good for water birds, with a possibility of White-tailed Eagle (I know they breed at the Steinhuder Meer not too far away) and Cranes (on a good day you could witness migration of these anywhere).
Middle Spotted Woodpecker breeds very close to Minden (there are many more locations for this species between Düsseldorf and Minden, but apparently Minden is particularly reliable).
I can give access details if you think you have time here.

I behave more like a local birdwatcher around here (non-local birding tends to draw me to the river Rhine, which is off your path), but I like the Kemnader Stausee in Bochum which you should pretty much pass (many ducks including Smew, Caspian Gull, possible Middle Spots nearby).
The hills near Hagen should have some interesting owls, but I can't help with those...

If you have any not-too-sensitive species in mind, I might be of help with searching ornitho.de.

Thanks, both!

Very helpful information.

I will arrive early afternoon in Dusseldorf and drive to Minden, where I should have 2 hours to spare, I hope, before dinner with clients then two days' meetings, before heading back towards Dusseldorf. I will stay the night in Hagen, but my flight the next day is not until midday next day, so I should also have 1-2 hours that morning.

Rieselfelder or Weseraue looks good for the first day, and Bochum before my flight home. Will also keep an eye on local sightings as you suggest.

Duesseldorf Oberkassel is good for Little Owl.
I found them last year in May near Erholungsstaette Loerick ( about 1 km north ).
Nabu ( Naturclub ) has written another good place for Little Owl is protected area NSG Himmelgeist.

see also the map in the following link
http://www.nabu-duesseldorf.de/inde...eldorf/22-steinkauzschutz-in-duesseldorf.html

This area is easy reachable with public transport e.g. underground station Loerick.
Usually this area has very high traffic because many big town are extrem close together.

World life list: about 3.000 ( Litte Auk, Germany, island Helgoland; Jan 2014)
Ge life list: 319 ( Black Guillemot, island Helgoland; Feb 2014 )
2014 year list: 132 ( Black Guillemot, island Helgoland; Feb 2014)

Last edited:
So, in the end.... well, I didn't make it to any of the locations mentioned, unfortunately! When I arrived in Germany, I realised I had forgotten my driving licence, so instead of hiring a car, I took the train.

I did manage to fit in a little birding, however, as I had a walk around a couple of "green" areas near Düsseldorf Airport this morning!

Highlights were three splendid pairs of great crested grebe on Lichtenbroicher Baggersee near Dusseldorf Airport's train station. Also, in the Forstbusch woods in this area, a female blackcap, green woodpecker, great spotted woodpecker , a single nuthatch, several treecreepers (presumably Eurasian?) and 5 brambling, as well as the usual woodland species.

An early morning walk around Kittelbachpark, between Unterrath and the airport, was also quite productive, with several more treecreeper, 2 more green woodpecker and a lovely marsh tit. Several jays and magpies were also in a panic as a common buzzard flew through the park.

The common treecreeper in the lowlands (which include Düsseldorf) is Short-toed, whereas Eurasian is rare in old forest (I have only found it once where I live).

One of only two reports of Eurasian Treecreeper for Düsseldorf on ornitho.de is by a certain Mr. Lamb. I suggest he should change this, haha!

The common treecreeper in the lowlands (which include Düsseldorf) is Short-toed, whereas Eurasian is rare in old forest (I have only found it once where I live).

One of only two reports of Eurasian Treecreeper for Düsseldorf on ornitho.de is by a certain Mr. Lamb. I suggest he should change this, haha!

haha! yes, I had an email from Herr Jürgen Schumann asking me about this!! I have told him that my identification is probably wrong!! I will change the record |:$|

And three days later, I was in Krakow and saw a treecreeper in the parks there. I was convinced it was short-toed (as it seemed quite dark beneath), but I have been advised it was probably Eurasian.... oh dear.... more studying needed!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back