• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL8x32 vs 8x42 microcontrast/ resolution (2 Viewers)

I measured non technically the 10x32 and 12x42 NL on the tripod looking at the betel nut tree trunk and found both to be similar in sharpness, contrast etc with my 43 years old eyes.

View attachment 1560383
View attachment 1560382
Good info to know, although the OP thinks differently regarding the 10x32.

Curious… if you had to pick one of those two binos, which one would you take if you were going (say birdwatching + safari) to an exotic or far-away destination?

Curious… if you had to pick one of those two binos, which one would you take if you were going (say birdwatching + safari) to an exotic or far-away destination?

Tough question!

But I will choose the 12x42 NL because it has wider FOV, weight less and balances well for longer period of time while scanning with the additional 2x power than my 10x42 EL SV...

Tough question!

But I will choose the 12x42 NL because it has wider FOV, weight less and balances well for longer period of time while scanning with the additional 2x power than my 10x42 EL SV...
Oh, that’s interesting. I thought you were going to choose the 10x32 NL (referenced in your previous post) due to its lighter weight and even wider FOV than the 12x42 NL. Do you ever use the forehead rest for greater stability with your 12x42 NL?

Oh, that’s interesting. I thought you were going to choose the 10x32 NL (referenced in your previous post) due to its lighter weight and even wider FOV than the 12x42 NL. Do you ever use the forehead rest for greater stability with your 12x42 NL?

One thing that surprised me was the ability to see more details of those flying Swiftlets and Swifts with the 12x and easy to follow the flight patterns because of the wide FOV and fast focus of the NL. Will do more test soon in the rainforest for both binos once I got the forehead rest by next week 🤤

Last edited:

In my thought, NO.

first, 8x42 nl has more real magnification as you see from the second photo.

NL 8x32 is very very good bino, but I think differece of central sharpness at close observation (about ~50m) is much larger in 8 32/42 NL than 10 32/42 NL compared.

NL series tends to have more slight golden hue (like swaro curio but much less) when It's exit pupil gets bigger. It can damage color fidelity, but it gave me a pleasent boost of contrast that can lead to resolution enhancement

Attachments

• 20240214_131044.jpg
    20240214_131044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20240221_111513.jpg
    20240221_111513.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Will you be carrying lens and camera as well for your birding trip?
No, definitely not. I do not carry professional photography equipment either when I do any kind of international air travel. At the most, only binoculars and a light tripod to take photos with my iPhone. Airport security in some great birding destinations (e.g., India where we are now) can be overly strict with high-end photography equipment making it not worth the risk, in my opinion.

No, definitely not. I do not carry professional photography equipment either when I do any kind of international air travel. At the most, only binoculars and a light tripod to take photos with my iPhone. Airport security in some great birding destinations (e.g., India where we are now) can be overly strict with high-end photography equipment making it not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Aha thanks for telling me that. I usually bring full set scope + bino when I travelled with rolling suitcase that fits the overhead compartment in the plane.

But now reduced to smaller backpack and kept the tripod in the check in luggage

In India, do they asked passengers to open their backpack at the airport by the immigration?

IMG20240221100452-01.jpeg

Last edited:
In my thought, NO.

first, 8x42 nl has more real magnification as you see from the second photo.

NL 8x32 is very very good bino, but I think differece of central sharpness at close observation (about ~50m) is much larger in 8 32/42 NL than 10 32/42 NL compared.

NL series tends to have more slight golden hue (like swaro curio but much less) when It's exit pupil gets bigger. It can damage color fidelity, but it gave me a pleasent boost of contrast that can lead to resolution enhancement
That’s very used info. I was also thinking about shifting from 8x42 NL to 8x32 NL. Now it seems it doesn’t worth. If the 8x42 has higher magnification the resolution and sharpness should be higher in it compared to 8x32. Am I correct? Did you estimate the magnification difference between them?

Did you compare 8x42 NL to 8.5x42 EL as well? How is the magnification difference between them?

That’s very used info. I was also thinking about shifting from 8x42 NL to 8x32 NL. Now it seems it doesn’t worth. If the 8x42 has higher magnification the resolution and sharpness should be higher in it compared to 8x32. Am I correct? Did you estimate the magnification difference between them?

Did you compare 8x42 NL to 8.5x42 EL as well? How is the magnification difference appa

Did you compare 8x42 NL to 8.5x42 EL as well? How is the magnification difference between them?
optically, sharpness will be better on the lower magnification.
but If the higer magnification can maintain the same or real close sharpness then lower magnification, It's resolution will be much better than lower magnification
. and I think NL 8x42 does it compared with 8x32.
I didn't estimate HOW bigger the 8x42 nl is.
but when I compared with 8.5x42 EL, EL has noticeably bigger real magnification and even noticeably sharper under 100m.
yes. I think EL is better at sharpness then NL. but NL has more satuated colors, relaxing lmeage, 3D rendering, so long range resolution (aprox 300m+ ?) is better in NL and the diffrence gets bigger when the view situation gets worse. such as longer view distance, bad atmosphere, strained eye and extra.

center image quality is resolution + sharpness combined and sharpness is the one part that influance resolution with other thing such as Contrast, 3D rendering, lens diameter...
Imeage sharpness and Imeage resolution sounds same but they are little bit different.

I only say about sharpness that usually been checked under 50 ~ 100m distance at the daytime because resolution depends much more on lens size when the observation distance gets longer.

as you can read about Kowa genesis 10x33 review I wrote today, Kowa genesis really lacks central sharpness compared to Zeiss conquest. but It's eye relaxing view, CA control and contrast cover it up a bit when it comes to resolution. so long range resolution gap between Kowa genesis and Zeiss conquest is not as big as sharpness gap.

Last edited:
Aha thanks for telling me that. I usually bring full set scope + bino when I travelled with rolling suitcase that fits the overhead compartment in the plane.

But now reduced to smaller backpack and kept the tripod in the check in luggage

In India, do they asked passengers to open their backpack at the airport by the immigration?

View attachment 1560600

Do not want to derail this thread. I will send you a PM about your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back