• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure Scope? (1 Viewer)

catchall

United States
With the recent release of the NL Pure 8x32s pretty much completing the bino set - any thoughts on whether Swarovski will turn their attention back to scopes? If I’m not mistaken, we’re coming up on a decade since the release of the ATX line - perhaps something is in the works?

Hi catchall,

You raise an interesting and tantalising point!
In terms of the timing of previous spotting scope introductions:
• 1990 AT/ ST series (Porro prism);
• 2002 ATS/ STS series (roof prism);
• 2012 ATX/ STX series (modular).

So . . .
• 2022 AT-/ ST- series (???).

John

Last edited:
With the recent release of the NL Pure 8x32s pretty much completing the bino set - any thoughts on whether Swarovski will turn their attention back to scopes? If I’m not mistaken, we’re coming up on a decade since the release of the ATX line - perhaps something is in the works?
So what exactly are you expecting and would it be optically feasible?
The Kowa 883 was introduced in 2006 and is still one of, if not the most popular top tier birding scope.
The Zeiss Harpia was a radical innovation with its zooming objective but there are associated disadvantages and it doesn't seem to be what most birders want.
Not all that is new is better or practically useful and a recent thread on big binoculars and a link to a repairer made me yearn for the mechanical solidity of yesteryear.

John

PS: I suspect that in the aircraft industry the marketing people have less influence than in consumer industries. The Boeing 747 has been flying for 53 years!

Last edited:
So what exactly are you expecting and would it be optically feasible?
New versions of A and STX eyepiece modules with wider AFOVs and longer zoom ranges - at least 3x - the Zeiss Harpia raised the bar...
A zooming BTX, with also a straight version of it... ;)

Greetings. If this thread is an invitation to suggest changes/improvements to the Swarovski scope range, I would like to mention an extender to the 25 - 50 eyepiece to the ATS/STS series.

New versions of A and STX eyepiece modules with wider AFOVs and longer zoom ranges - at least 3x - the Zeiss Harpia raised the bar...
A zooming BTX, with also a straight version of it... ;)
The Zeiss Harpia sacrifices viewing comfort and low light capability with its small exit pupil at the lower magnifications for a wider AFoV.
I did say feasible. You are probably familiar with the Televue Ethos eyepieces with their enormous weight (up to 1 kg) and cost and limited eye relief.
And then you want all that with a 3x zoom capability?

John

The Zeiss Harpia sacrifices viewing comfort and low light capability with its small exit pupil at the lower magnifications for a wider AFoV.
I did say feasible. You are probably familiar with the Televue Ethos eyepieces with their enormous weight (up to 1 kg) and cost and limited eye relief.
And then you want all that with a 3x zoom capability?

John
It's feasible 102, 100 and 92º AFOV zooms the question is the compromises that must be done.
As I use glasses, I prefer the 92º eps but are a "bit" heavier than 100-110º eps... ;)
As the NL binocular series are a "reply" to Zeiss binoculars, I expect that will be a reply to Harpia with improved ATX / STX eyepiece modules. The question is when these will be released.
I would have purchased an Harpia 95 if there were straight versions X95 vs. Harpia95. As there aren't, I already have a STX115 and trying to reach improved solutions - it will take some weeks/months, you can have some ideas at Swaro X derivations but I would prefer if Swarovski would save me time and work by releasing the improved versions I mentioned... ;)
I enclose a photo of my DTX115, that has wider TFOV than the STX115/95 and can zoom. The problem is high mags resolutions... However my DTX115 is much better than was my DTX95, that means I will never have a BTX115, of the present version... I still didn't decided if my optical bag will start to carry also the binoviewer+FSA-L2...

Attachments

• DTX115.jpg
    DTX115.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
What you wanting and looking for in your new NL PURE Spotting Scope...? NL PURE 125 ATX..?
This made me smile. I’m just wondering what might be in the works for release. If Swarovski generally updates product lines every decade, and the TX modular lines have been out since 2012, they would be more than likely going to release something soon, right? Unless the release of the BTX or 115mm module reset the clock?

I would like a 400mm NL Purescope, which comes with its own specially branded Swarovski trailer necessary to transport its bulk (this would include an integrated tripod). Ideally its Zoom would go all the way up to 11 and any CA would only be visible to dogs.

I would like a 400mm NL Purescope, which comes with its own specially branded Swarovski trailer necessary to transport its bulk (this would include an integrated tripod). Ideally its Zoom would go all the way up to 11 and any CA would only be visible to dogs.
and all this for under USD$1250.00 including sales tax right..? + 3 life time warranties on the entire kit..? Sounds like a winner to me..

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back