• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightingale sp., early song, 8 Apr in Warsaw, PL (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
I presume Thrush Nightingale due to the dry rattles, unfinished and distorted whistling phrases (mixed singing), short phrases with long breaks (only the beginning of the season), and either sharp or buzzy vertical notes appearing in mid-frequencies at the end of many phrases.

Can we age the bird as an adult based on the stage of its vocal development (I've heard much plainer song devoid of mixed singing a month after April 8)?

Indeed, the rattles at 0:12, 4:26 and 5:28 sound too soft for Thrush Nightingale, I think. What about the one at 6:26, though -- it's rougher but probably too short?

As it's probably a Common Nightingale indeed, interesting how -- at the beginning of the season -- it sounds like Thrush Nightingale towards the end of the season with regard to the development of the whistled phrases (I guess Common Nightingales would've started learning them earlier, obviously, but -- otherwise -- the outcomes of both species' learning processes seem broadly similar).

EDIT: What other criteria have you used (provided that they are easily describable) to help differentiate between the two?

(Just to dispel any doubt, Common Nightingale is more probable and, also, favoured by BirdNET (I've checked with it afterwards).)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back