• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand in February (1 Viewer)

jimbob

my mum and dad are going to NZ in feb, and I promised them I would do some research for them, so here goes.
They plan to travel around both north and south island, but mum isnt keen on travelling to some of the smaller islands as she gets sea sick! so, where are the birding hotspots on the mainland? I hear kiwi tours are in operation, does anyone have any experience of these? They hope to see a few of the endemics of course. Hope someone can offer some advice or point me in the direction of some websites I can show them.
cheers,
Jim.

jimbob said:
my mum and dad are going to NZ in feb, and I promised them I would do some research for them, so here goes.
They plan to travel around both north and south island, but mum isnt keen on travelling to some of the smaller islands as she gets sea sick! so, where are the birding hotspots on the mainland? I hear kiwi tours are in operation, does anyone have any experience of these? They hope to see a few of the endemics of course. Hope someone can offer some advice or point me in the direction of some websites I can show them.
cheers,
Jim.

Kaikoura, NZ. Stay with the only resident birder. Comfortable B & B at competitive rates. Local bird info; close to Albatross Encounter and Whale-watch.
Alan Shaw.

This is a private ad from Birding World. If you mail me in private I will give you Alan's e-mail and telephone number. Alan is very well known and a keen birder. Plus, Kaikoura is fast becoming a seabird hotspot.

John.

no experience of the tours ... if crossing between N and S Islands on the ferry, the seabird interest is nice ~ had NZ Falcon around Motuweka

only been in july, but the must-see spots were tiritiri matangi island (boat(!) from auckland), miranda (mudflats south of auckland), kaikoura peninsula (boat(!) for seabirds) and the otago peninsula (near Dunedin, nesting Royal albatross, Yellow-eyed Penguin etc.).
The main field guide for NZ birds has reasonable site information included

jimbob said:
cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

If they will not visit any of the Islands (and I especially am thinking of Tiritiri Matangi, Stewart Island and Marlborough sounds) they have to accept that kokako and kiwi-chances are lower and endemics like saddleback and stitchbird are impossible.

My advise is that they study the birds of New Zealand locality guide (written by Stuart Chambers), and pick out convenient "hotspots" themselves. But tell them that they should do that by determining which "specialties" they want to see. In February birds like wrybill and NZ-dotterel are still at their breeding-grounds so that would mean some work and/or luck. Of course Dunedin/Taiaroa Heads is a must because its the only place for them to see albatrossess (Northern Royals ib this case) up close.

The kiwi-tour at Aroha Island ecological centre (a bit north of Keri-keri) gives a good chance of actually seeing a kiwi. If the kiwi is missed there are might be some other interesting birds. They could try it themselves in some places but usually the most people get to see of a kiwi then (if they are lucky) is the back-end of a terrified kiwi that's running away (not my idea of "seeing" a kiwi, let alone what the bird thinks of it).

I wish them lots of fun and lots of birds (by NZ standards that is). I am sure they will love the scenery almost everywhere.

Cheers,
Leo

(Of course they could have hired me to design (and/or guide) a trip for them, if only I weren't out birdwatching myself for the next two-three weeks. Better luck next time!)

cheers

Thanks for your help everyone, some great suggestions. I will pass them on. Starting to get very envious of this trip, looks like Ill have to go myself in the future!
Jim.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back