• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York State (1 Viewer)

Dingoblu

I do a great deal of my birding in my backyard, its not uncommon to have 15 species at my feeders on any given day.

St. Lawrence Co. is where I am located in the northern tier of the state,bordered by Canada. Robert Moses St. park offers wildlife viewing and some excellent birding. Its located on an island accessible by drive through tunnel, and attracts a great many waterbirds.

Some of the spieces that can be seen there are:
Turkey Vultures
Red Tailed Hawks
coopers Hawks
Great Blue Herons
Double Breasted Commorants
Northern Flickers
Pileated Woodpeckers
Downy Woodpeckers
Hairy Woodpeckers
Terns
Gulls
Blue Jays
Gold Finches
American Robins
Canadian Geese
Falcons
various songbirds
several varieties of owls
Bank swallows
several varieties of ducks
Osprey
Eastern Wild Turkey
hummingbirds

There are also many mammals such as
Deer
mink
fishers
skunk
coyotes
fox
beaver
black squirrel
red squirrel
chipmunk
groundhog
snapping turtles

There are several varieties of snakes common to the area, but all are nonvenemous

If you care to venture below the surface of the water you can view an aquatic world rich in life. Some of the fish you could see are
Largemouth Bass
Smallmouth Bass
Northern Pike
Gar Pike
Walleye Pike
Muskellunge
Sturgeon
Carp
Catfish
Bullhead
Perch
Bluegill
Sunfish

There are also eels, some I have seen that are quite large

So there is a summary of this area of NY. An hours drive can have you in the mountains where there are also Bear, bobcat, occasionally Moose and cougar

Yep, dingoblu, I have to agree with you on most everything you said! Not uncommon to see over a dozen species in my backyard on any given day.

I live in Dutchess County, NY, and here in the town, I've catalogged over 50 species in my area alone! I have listed almost all of the birds in the Bird Locations database. The Location has the name "Stormville" in it, I forget the entire title. But You should check it out, and maybe if there's some birds in this list you haven't seen, I'd be glad to host you for a day out birding.

One question dingoblu, have you seen any red-headed woodpeckers in your area? because I'm unsure, though optimistic, that I'll see one in my area!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back