• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New user, joined to report a sighting (red kite) (1 Viewer)

Philthy

Hi all,
I doubt I am anywhere near as enthusiastic as most on this board, but have enjoyed watching birds all my life. You won't see me out and about in wellies and waterproofs, clutching binoculars, but I enjoy it all the same.
I have a fair knowledge of British birds, being raised on a farm, and living in the country all my life, but up until yesterday evening, I had never seen a red kite. Being honest, I didn't know what one looked like!
As a work colleague was driving me home yesterday, along port road in Dawlish, Devon, a very large raptor drifted over the road in front of us. Being used to the usual buzzards,kestrels etc, this was distinctly different. Apart from being bloody huge, it had a very pronounced V tail. Not knowing what it was, I googled for images, and the bird we saw, was definitely a red kite.
If I am teaching Granny to suck eggs here, I apologise in advance, but having never seen this bird before, I consider it a rarity, even if only to me.
Regards
Phil

Hi Phil and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Red Kites are still pretty localised, but are certainly spreading and increasing their range now.

Your one could have drifted down from the Cotswold area where there's been a release site, or come across the Bristol Channel from the Welsh population. Youngsters are inclined to wander at this time of year looking for mates and suitable sites for breeding.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Hi Philthy . There's a section of BF covering Devon, where maybe someone local could advise you as to how regularly Red Kites are seen in that area. I could be wrong, but they may be pretty infrequent in that area still, and it may be of interest to the locals.

cheers B :),

Larry

Hello Philthy,
one reported Mansands, south of Brixham yesterday evening ( check link below ) . Hard to say if yours is the same or no, quite possible but then again there seems for the last couple of years to have been a slight influx into south Devon mid-late spring. Either way a great sighting and still very much a rarity in Devon unlike places elsewhere in the UK so well done.

http://www.devonbirds.org/news/bird_news/devon_bird_news?blogEntry=2757

Regards Perry

Last edited:
They arnt spotted often in Devon no, i check a site everyday which puts up bird/animal/insect sightings for the county and there has been an influx of them recently.

There was one seen on the outskirts of plymouth on 22nd april, been a handfull of sightings in the exmouth area and around exminster.

Im yet to see one in Devon myself, but im up to London tomorrow on the train so hoping to catch a few on my way through reading, I normally do...i think 5 is my record!

Your sighting would be nice to see on the site i view, i can pm you the email of the bloke who runs it if you would like to submit your sighting to him?

EDIT: Forgot to add a Red Kite was seen in Dawlish on the 23rd April over the hospital.

Last edited:
Hello all, thanks for the replies.
The weather hasn't been helping, but not seen it again lately, I'll keep the peepers peeled. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back