• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Red Dot question,, need one for a DSLR (1 Viewer)

Derry

I presently use a Simons (tube type) red dot on my scope but have seen one available for mounting in the camera hot shoe of a DSLR,, it was not the tube type but the clear glass plate with the dot imposed,, considerably smaller in size while offering the same sighting,,

anyone know of a location to purchase one of these,,??

appreciate,,

Derry

Hi Derry,

If this is what you want?

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 381
Hi Jules,

I bought it here in Tokyo. The dot has 11 intensity levels. It connects to the shoe with a small swivel head. I don't use it much anymore since I switched from an angled scope to straight.

cheers,
Rick

Hi Jules,

I bought it here in Tokyo. The dot has 11 intensity levels. It connects to the shoe with a small swivel head. I don't use it much anymore since I switched from an angled scope to straight.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks Rick - I'll search the Net

thanks for the photo RJM,, have seen one that is less than 25% the size of yours,, is more like the small units on some pistols with only a piece of glass being vertical with the power unit below,,

thanks for the photo RJM, still not small enough,,

have seen one that is less than 25% the size of yours,, is more like the small units on some pistols with only a piece of glass being vertical with the power unit below,,

thanks

Derry

I'll sell you this one if you want it. PM me for details.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks for you offer Rick, it is much appreciated. I have found a device that will bridge between the hot shoe and the red dot sight, allowing me to use the one I have.

I could not find the small red dot viewer I have seen in the past so I figured I would build one, minus the red dot,,

mostly plastic tubing with a wood base to fit tight in the strobe shoe,, made from spare items in my shop,,

just used it at the last granddaughters volleyball game and it works great,, I can follow the action with both eyes on the game keeping the pointer on what I want to shoot with my left sight eye,,

I used it on my 35-100 f2 Olympus lens,, an occasional check through the viewfinder if I'm adjusting mm length to assure I am still on target,,

was another guy shooting with a Canon and he wanted to know what I was using and where did I buy it at,, :t:

Derry

Attachments

• DSCN1344 (800 x 679).jpg
    DSCN1344 (800 x 679).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN1345_edited-1 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1345_edited-1 (800 x 600).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN1343 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1343 (800 x 600).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 141
One down side I see is losing alignment after you have removed it, you lose the shoe for a flash or GPS unit and you don't have the red dot when you just use it as a spotting scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back