• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new list (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just getting into my year list here in smalltown northern Japan. I`m carless so I`ve decided to concentrate on a local list only ( ie within walking distance from my house). I used to do this when I lived in Preston and got 102 one year (a long time ago).
So far I`ve just got 23 (there`s no way I`ll break 100)-these include Great Tit, Coal Tit, Herring Gull, Carrion Crow, Teal, Mallard-the same birds as Preston in fact! I should get Harlequin Duck and hopefully Glaucous Winged Gull when I go to the beach tommorrow.
Anybody else do these kind of carless non-twitching lists? Or do you think I`m a pathetic loser?!?

No Stu, keep it up !

I get just as much enjoyment, if not more, out of the birds that I manage to find locally as those I do on special excursions.

How can anyone bird and be a pathetic loser?? That is simply not possible... and so what if your list is not long.. it is worthy my friend!!!

Stu,
It's so nice to find someone who doesn't pollute the countryside on their birding trips - I too am carless, though I do admit to a pedal cycle for summer use, and my local list is restricted to where I can walk to (and back from!). So far this year I'm up to about fifty - for details of one of my walks see 'Quiet Lanes and Stormy Seas' by JacobC. I always feel you see far more by travelling slowly - for instance, if I'd gone shopping by car last Saturday, I'd have missed the Waxwings in a local village.

Tony

Hi Stu,

asbolutely my kind o0f birding, careless listing is me to a tee! I have bagged getting on to a ton in the first week of the new year but i get very distracted by the subjects. I spent 2 hours just watching short eared owls patrolling there patch. Totally fascinating,

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back