• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest in September (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Should Nightjars, Wood Warblers and Redstarts still be around and easy to see in the middle of September? Anyone know where I can find any trip reports? Or what I'd expect to see?

Just wondering whether or not anyone could give me a Multimap Link on the best sites to see Birds in the New Forest, particularly Redstarts, Nightjars and Wood Warblers.
But if anyone has any info they think may be useful, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jake,

I doubt the above summer migrants would still be around in September, though there is a good chance of things such as Crossbill, Woodlark and possibly even Hawfinch if you go to the right places. Bolderwood, where there is a car park and open area is oftern good, although I don't know any other sites. Perhaps there is a birding site for the area?

Cheers

Jake . said:
Just wondering whether or not anyone could give me a Multimap Link on the best sites to see Birds in the New Forest, particularly Redstarts, Nightjars and Wood Warblers.
But if anyone has any info they think may be useful, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jake,

Try the following, http://www.hos.org.uk/, lots of info & useful links. As Dan rightly says Sept is a bit late for your target birds, but lots of other good stuff to see.

Cheers,

John.

Your "target birds" will be quite tricky from late June on, when they more or less stop singing, but you might chance upon family parties of Redstart and Wood Warbler - both of which seem to be harder to find anyway, over the last 4-5 years especially. Acres Down, about 4 miles north-west of Lyndhurst, has a few of both species, as do the woods around Beaulieu Road railway station (Denny Wood and the wood to the south of Denny, name escapes me).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back