• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Netherlands birding spots (1 Viewer)

Hello all, I just moved to the Netherlands to do my masters at Utrecht University (studying animal behavior) and was wondering if anybody knew where the best birding spots are that are not so commonly known (like Texel and the Oostvaarderplassen). Also If you are in the Utrecht area and looking for somebody to go birding with on the weekend I would probably be available if you want company. Thanks.

Hi Cognitive_Ethology

Some of these in Opus may get you started till someone comes along with more inf for you

D

[
Hello all, I just moved to the Netherlands to do my masters at Utrecht University (studying animal behavior) and was wondering if anybody knew where the best birding spots are that are not so commonly known (like Texel and the Oostvaarderplassen). Also If you are in the Utrecht area and looking for somebody to go birding with on the weekend I would probably be available if you want company. Thanks.

Hi cognitive_Ethology,

I live close to Utrecht, work in the city and go birding most of the weekends.
There are lots of nice places around the city, some nearby and lots more a bit further away. Of course the Oostvaardersplassen are a birding paradise, as you know. You can spend days in that area without getting bored. It's about an hours drive from Utrecht and it's best to have a car to get around the place as it's quite big.

Closer by is the Zouweboezem, a small reserve an the edge of the river Lek. Good for Purple Herons in spring/summer as it is one of the biggest breeding colonies in the Netherlands.
Also most of the rivers have nice flood-fields along them where lots of geese stay during the winter.
Realy close is Amelisweerd, a park around the river Kromme Rijn. It's not a very well known birding spot but there are lots of waterfowl, woodpecker and I've seen a Kingfisher las summer. You can reach it by bike going in the direction of Bunnik. Also I heard of some owls living around the golfcourse that's on your right going to Amelisweerd (going to check that out shortly).
If you have a car the polder Arkemheen near Nijkerk is very nice. Lots of raptors and geese, as well as good numbers of meadow birds.
To the east is the Blauwe Kamer, a reserve at the river, it holds a cormorant colony.

For more information check www.vogelbescherming.nl (bird protection society). There is an english button in the top of the page but the menu doesnt translate. So go to 'zoek vogels en gebieden' and then 'vogelgebieden'. You'll find a clickable map. Direct link: http://www.vogelbescherming.nl/content.aspx?cid=116

PM me if you would like more info or a sightseeing trip around the area. I'll be out most weekends so you're welcome to join!

Cheers and have fun in Utrecht, it's a nice city!:t:

Nils K

Go to site:
waarnemingen.nl

And you have there a database of all observations of all species of all birders in the Netherlands.

enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back