• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest Boxes - To Clean or Not? (1 Viewer)

Kenny

Natural Magic
Upon checking my nestboxes for cleanliness I find bedding in two boxes and in more the open nest box. I assume this is roosting bedding but what to do? My instinct tells me to leave well alone and leave for breeding. Help!

The advice from the RSPB, BTO and some Wildlife Trusts is that they should be cleaned out. When we cleaned out ours in October, there were lots of creepy-crawlies there. If you go to our website (January 1st 2003), you can read the advice given by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust.

PS I don't think birds take in roosting bedding - this is probably left-over stuff from last year's nests, or maybe nests that were started but never used.

Kenny said:
Upon checking my nestboxes for cleanliness I find bedding in two boxes and in more the open nest box. I assume this is roosting bedding but what to do? My instinct tells me to leave well alone and leave for breeding. Help!

As recent nestbox event held by my local bird club suggested now is the time to clean boxes out. There may be some unwanted parasites lurking.

However, given that spring is very early this year, swallows and house martins are already on the south coast, and I've seen daffodils in full bloom in South Wales, it may be worth double checking that this is not fresh nesting materials you've discovered. Its possible I guess some resident birds are already starting nest comstruction.

I always clean out our boxes and even disinfect them too - just with an anti-bacterial spray and then flush them again with water. Every time there are loads of bugs and small flies and I dare say fleas!

I think the new nestlings could well do without having parasites to contend with.

Last edited:
Hi Kenny.

I would think it very unlikely that this bedding is used for roosting purposes. Around my local area i have erected up to 25 boxes, these mainly tit boxes. I know of at least 5-6 boxes being used for roosting during the winter months (mid september - early March). I have not found any evidence of any material brought in by either Blue or Great tits during this period.

I tend to clean the boxes out twice a year first in Sept and again in january.

If you are keen to learn about Nestboxes i would recommend the 24th(new) BTO nestbox guide by Chris de feu.

If you are not to keen in removing the bedding due to uncertainty try to keep an eye on birds visiting the boxes with bedding. Good luck and keep us informed.

I made a point of cleaning them all last autumn which is why I'm puzzled. Is suspect that sparrows are doing this but not sure about the open nest box which is not well covered as it should be, and on a tree. At first glance there doesn't seem to be many parasites, and thee are some feathers present. Don't want to be the home wrecker in this case.

I think the latest advice is to pour in a kettle of boiling water - kills any parasites, but doesn't leave any potentially toxic residues that could harm a bird that comes in that evening to roost

Michael

Careful!
There have been many reports this week of some boxes containing not only complete nests, but in some cases, young birds!
Take sleeper's advice, keep an eye on the boxes for a couple of days before you decide.

I shall wait and monitor the activity at these boxes. I also use boiling water to sterilise the insides. I will let you know my findings.

It would most certainly be wise to do that Kenny as today having a day off work I watched the garden birds and surprise surprise.....a robin has started nest building! It is buildind a nest as the same place as last year although a touch earlier.

It is amazing how they can build a nest without hardly being detected so do watch out.

Okay, upon checking closely, the nesting materials do appear to be old and have been discarded. I think I'm too far north for those to be new nests. So they have all be rinsed with boiling water and await this years visitors.

Cleaning

Hi everyone,
The box that I have had up for four years was never cleaned until it started to fall apart at the end of last year, mainly because my son put it up to high for me to reach. And I had Blue tits nesting in it every year, but when I took it down I gave it a really good clean, as it had skeletons of at least two babies at the edge of the nest. It seamed that they had been there for a very long time, and didn't stop the box from being used.
I now have four boxes and will be cleaning them every year in December, all I used was boiling water and a stiff brush.
Janet.

Sleeper said:
It would most certainly be wise to do that Kenny as today having a day off work I watched the garden birds and surprise surprise.....a robin has started nest building! It is buildind a nest as the same place as last year although a touch earlier.

It is amazing how they can build a nest without hardly being detected so do watch out.

Two years ago a pair of robins surprised us - we'd put an open fronted box in the hedge near the back gate, many years ago. Although we went past it several times a day, we didn't realise there was a nest there at last - until one day my husband saw some leaves poking out. He looked in - and found an incubating female looking back at him! The pair successfully raised four chicks - you can see a photo on our website - go to April 9th, 2002 and following dates.

They didn't return there in 2003, but we thought we had robins nesting in the hedge at the other side of the house, because we watched them taking mealworms into the hedge regularly - it was only later that we found they were going through the hedge - into our neighbour's shed!

Nestboxes, the do's and don'ts?

In England, general licence
WLF 100068 states :-
Terms and Conditions
This licence only applies to the taking by hand and destroying of an egg of a wild bird, or any part of such an egg from nest boxes in England not currently in use by birds, during the period 1 August to 31 January. It is issued soley in order to permit the removal of abandoned or unsuccessfull eggs from nest boxes before the next breeding season. All eggs removed from nest boxes under this licence must be destroyed at the first available opportunity.

In Scotland, general licence
SENGEN/15 states :-
Conditions
This licence only applies to the taking by hand and destroying of eggs of wild birds, or any part of such eggs, from nest boxes in Scotland not currently in use by birds, during the period 1 August to 31 January, and is issued soley in order to permit the removal of abandoned or unsuccessfull eggs from nest boxes before the next breeding season.

Considering that it is illegal to disturb nesting birds, the dates of 1st August to 31st January are mentioned in both licences, and they both state "not currently in use" I wonder if there would be a case against anyone actually interferring with a nest box outside the dates mentioned, if there are signs of habitation or use?

Malky @ Westhill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back