• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nest box predator (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Has anyone any idea what is attacking the nest box with blue tits in it?
See photo below.
(I think the damage was done overnight)
What can I do about it?!
thanks.

Attachments

• damaged nest box.jpg
    damaged nest box.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 337
Total stab in the dark, but looks like the marks of a (largeish) rodent grinding its teeth.

Dare I suggest a rat?

Is it actually attacking the inhabitants or the nest box itself? It looks as though it's gnawing the wood rather than trying to get into the nest box. Seeing as Birdman's gone for rat I'll go for Grey Squirrel.

You are right, Edward, in that so far the 'predator' has only attacked the wood... but I had assumed that it was trying to get into the box.
Any ideas on how to discourage it? I don't want to put a wire mesh over the box as that might just give it a better toe hold; and barbed wire is not too nice in the garden.

I must admit that I suspect that it might be a cat... you cannot see it in my photo but there is also a claw mark on the front of the box.

Id say its a Squirril or a cat Id try n put a spray with a horrid smell that mite mke the predater stay away

hi surreybirder
i would go for gray squirrel, and they do have sharp little claws,
put mesh on the top. bert

We put garlic on top of the box -- whether by coincidence or not, we've not had any further damage yet. The parent blue tits are really busy carrying baby caterpillars to their own babies.

Thanks for everyone's advice. We'll try the mesh if the problem recurs.

I'd go for squirrel too. We had a similar experience last year. The predator actually managed to gnaw the section of wood with the hole in it and took the baby blue tits, much to our horror. The box was similar to the one shown in the photo. This year the box is protected with metal! Good luck.

I'm glad to report that the nest box suffered no further disturbance and at least one young blue tit has fledged from it. (I've put a photo on the gallery HERE.)

Last edited:
Try some milk bottle tops threaded through some string and then wound around galvanised nails .... I go for a rat or feral cat.

If it is a cat could I have first option on the cap please :^D>>>

Penn in Oz wondering owl long will it be before we see another good international cricket team :^D>>>

Our boxes have not been damaged in any way, but we know for cetain that a Great Spotted Woodpecker took one of our bluetit chicks from a box, as we were monitoring it via a camera inside, and motion detecting software on a computer - and we think two others must have gone the same way, but we were not monitoring at the time. Read all about it on our website: www.biggonline.co.uk

I think you should do a stint on stag one night with a night vision sight on a high powered .22 air rifle. Anything in a fur coat is fair game!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back