• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Needed - easy way to check collimation (1 Viewer)

I tested my Zeiss SF 10x42 with the star test, the star was not perfectly central and this is acceptable, should not cause any issues. They were a pleasure to use and don't get to worried about it.
The EDG were absolutely perfect may add.
If you are using a Zeiss then a Swarovski, I would say that your eyes need to adjust and settle between the two, give them some time, do some tests.

I didn't check the Zeiss with a star test but don't need to. I could tell the Swaros were out just by looking through them and then taking them away from my eyes....one eye felt like it was having to 'bounce' back to try and get normal vision, almost nausea inducing. I've used enough bins to know thats symptomic of a problem with the specific set of bins as long as I've set the diopter right. Swarovski have now confirmed the same.

Just center anything in the right objective of the binocular, and then see if it is centered in the left objective. If it is, the alignment is ok.
Dennis,

To avoid slanging you on the open forum I wanted to PM you, but see you have blocked this.
I wonder if you actually read threads before posting your worthless 2 cents.
Joachim posted a really excellent test and then this "contribution".
There are various tolerances for collimation but I believe the ISO ones are around 5 arcminutes.
How on earth are you going to get anywhere near to verifying this with an object in centre field?
I see too that on another thread you are repeating the same nonsense of "better glass". With several hundred different optical glass sorts from various manufacturers this is just naive speculation and none of us know.

John

Hi,

search a bright star on the night sky, focus on it (or two, if things are really bad) and turn the diopter to the end of its range. So you will have a bright dot (the in-focus tube) and a large disc (the out of focus tube). The dot should be in the center of the disc if the instrument is correctly collimated.

The idea is to prevent the brain from merging the images of the tubes... since there is no star but a diffraction disc, it doesn't merge...

Joachim
Hi,
this operation is only useful if each separately scope/tube is individually collimated by it self (The right objective must be perfectly in the optical axis with the right eyepiece, and the left objective must be perfectly aligned with the left eyepiece).
But, many times, in order to have a collimated image between the two tubes together at the time of point star focusing, the manufacturers deliberately slightly sacrifice collimation of each individual tubes (so this decentered it is noticed only when defocusing star, but it is colimated with other tube only when the star ar point focused). So, if a single scope/tube it is not collimated by it self, the defocused circle is decentered from the focused star point, but the two tubes binos still be collimated together

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back